Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Powder shelf life?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Powder shelf life?

I have been working on developing a accurate long range load for my .300 win mag with 190gr. Berger vlds. Do to the recent powder shortage up here in Canada I am having a hard time finding certain powders I know my gun likes. I have some opened cans of imr powder that are about 6-8years old and was wondering if they would still be good for developing a load?
Old 07-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Powder shelf life?

If they have been stored in a cool dry place @ a fairly constant temp, I wouldn't see why not...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Gold Member

What may help is to stop into the local drug store and get some sillica packs aka(dessacants)
they use them in all the drugs in order to keep the pills dry. I have a can of IMR 4064 thats
in a blue can I have yet to use the stuff its over 40 years old, I just bought some new powder.
I used half of the can about 6 months ago.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

99% + chance it'll be good. If it's not it'll let you know.
Instead of a mild acetone odor and a dark or silver color it will be turning rusty colored and smell like sulfur. It will usually also usually start bulging the jugs as it gasses when it deteriorates. I Have shot 60 year old h4831 that was just fine but had a keg of 5010 go bad; makes good ( expensive though) fertilizer when it goes bad so all was well there.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

"Powder shelf life? "

I don't know yet. The oldest powder I have is some of Bruce Hogdons original 4831 WW 2 surplus and it's still fine tho the acetone/ether oder is long gone. . On the other hand I had a half can of IMR 4895 go rusty-baad in a meer 35 years. ??
Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Unlike the old days when powders shipped in lined cardboard containers, the new blow moulded, inert, light blocking containers will preserve powder indefinitely (so long as they aren't opened and left open). Resealing the lid after using some with a sheet of plastic (zip lock bag section) under the screw cap insures freshness. It will keep stink'in for years.

I've got powders I use little of that are 10 plus years old and just fine.

Load 'em up. Let your nose guide yo. If it stinks, it's good.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

There is a sample of Unique that has been stored under water, for over 100 years. Every few years they take some out, and test it, and it's still burning fine.