Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Powder selection help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Powder selection help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by land308 View Post
I am wanting to go to 8lb cans because I have read about different powder lots having slightly different burn rates. Im basically just trying to eliminate variables that might cause velocity deviations.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep them coming. Looks like h4831sc has a few fans.
I used it with my 260 and didn't get the velocity I wanted along with accuracy.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by land308 View Post
I am wanting to go to 8lb cans because I have read about different powder lots having slightly different burn rates. Im basically just trying to eliminate variables that might cause velocity deviations.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep them coming. Looks like h4831sc has a few fans.
True. But, I would not use a suboptimal powder for that reason alone. Opening a new can from a new lot is not like starting over completely.

Unless you're using it up quickly, smaller cans stay fresh longer (IMHO) because you only need to open them as you need them.

You can easily check the lot numbers on the one pound cans. If the store has several one pound cans, the lot numbers will most likely match.

That's what I do after testing a particular lot; and to ensure my dope doesn't suddenly change; and to help avoid limiting myself too much on my powder choices.

That said, you may be able to get good results with one or two powders for your rifles.

-- richard
Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Bronze Member

I'm just hoping I can find a good powder that might work well in more than one of my rifles so I can consolidate and make it easier to build up a supply of powder. I know it might not work out that way. I won't compromise on Accuracy or velocity. If it doesn't work out, oh well. I have 2 savages and 2 Remingtons for my long range work. All with factory barrels. The savages seem to shoot anything I feed them and one of the Remingtons is super finicky. We will see how it works out. Thanks again everyone. Keep the suggestions coming.