Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Powder scale or e-scale? that is the question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

Powder scale or e-scale? that is the question

I'm new to the idea of long range shooting but it fits my hips and knees. :-)

After around a 10 yr absence to reloading I just re-equipped myself and am excited at the new advancements in technology.

Questions: You loaders that take this seriously are you content and confident in the electronic powder scales and their inherent +/- load variations?

How many grains between load sizes is significant? 1/2 grain increments when fine tuning your tack drives, or less?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Powder scale or e-scale? that is the question

The electronic scales are the way to go. Tied into your powder dispenser better yet.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRick View Post
I'm new to the idea of long range shooting but it fits my hips and knees. :-)

After around a 10 yr absence to reloading I just re-equipped myself and am excited at the new advancements in technology.

Questions: You loaders that take this seriously are you content and confident in the electronic powder scales and their inherent +/- load variations?

How many grains between load sizes is significant? 1/2 grain increments when fine tuning your tack drives, or less?
I like and use both for different reasons.

The beam scales are very accurate but they are slower than the electronic scales. I use the beam scale
when I an loading precision ammo or working up loads to make sure the loads are identical.

The Electronic scales are very fast and work well for weighing brass, bullets and loading for bulk
shooting at the range and distance is under 300 yards.

I also use the beam scales to check the electronic scales (They never match exactly) so after I have a charge that Is perfect on the beam scale I place it on the electronic scale to transfer the weight so
I can duplicate the load on the electronic scales.

Just the way I re-load.

So I would recommend buying a "GOOD" beam scale first and then later buy an electronic scale.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

It occurs to me maybe my problem is never having used a "GOOD" beam scale. Which ones do you like, and what if any features do you feel are essential?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 AM

there is no doubt that high end electronic scaled are very very accurate. Personally I use both a beam, and an electronic together. I weigh to a close weight with the electronic, then transfer to the beam, which I KNOW is always 100% accurate. The electronic scale cuts a ton of time off. I can throw one complete charge in around 15-20 seconds maybe. Perhaps im just old school but I just cant seem to trust electronics completely.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

I don't care about speed,(when reloading)) so my RCBS 505 has been a long partner. I tried the electronic scale maybe 15 years ago and just couldn't trust it. I'm sure they are probably much better nowadays. but, reloading is my, "me time" and I'm in no hurry.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I like and use both for different reasons.

The beam scales are very accurate but they are slower than the electronic scales. I use the beam scale
when I an loading precision ammo or working up loads to make sure the loads are identical.

The Electronic scales are very fast and work well for weighing brass, bullets and loading for bulk
shooting at the range and distance is under 300 yards.

I also use the beam scales to check the electronic scales (They never match exactly) so after I have a charge that Is perfect on the beam scale I place it on the electronic scale to transfer the weight so
I can duplicate the load on the electronic scales.

Just the way I re-load.

So I would recommend buying a "GOOD" beam scale first and then later buy an electronic scale.

J E CUSTOM
+1, exactly what I do/use