Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Powder measuring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Powder measuring

+1 on the RCBS Chargemaster Combo. I have been using one since the fall and it is great. I weighed charges out of it pretty regularly at first but my interval between weighings got longer very quickly as I couldn't find it to be off by more than 1/10 of a grain.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:59 AM
Gold Member

I have several of the RCBS Uniflow measures as well as a digital and beam scale. I generaly work up loads away from home, and as a result, I pre-weigh the powders that I intend to work with. I record the setting on the stem of the Uniflow, for the start and max loads for each. Then while working with those powders I simply increase the charge in 1/4 or 1/2 turn increments on the stem. If I haven't found anything promising once I get to the high end, I change powders. If I find something which shows definate promise, I will record the setting and weigh it up once I get home. Then I can tweak it out in small increments later.

As others have mentioned consistancy is key when using these to throw charges. I grew up using one similar, so it was just more or less a replacement with a newer model for me. With a little practice they can be very close for throwing and then just a quick trickle and your done.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 03-04-2007, 06:25 AM
Silver Member

Lefty...I've got an extra RCBS Uniflow II and stand to sell if you are interested. Shoot me a PM.

Dan
Old 03-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Gold Member

The new PACT high speed dispenser with the digital scale is hard to beat. Very accurate no matter what type of powder I use. Not too expensive compared to others! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Gold Member

I HATE, HATE, HATE to trickle up to my weighed charge, but I so it when loading powders that don't "throw" well.

For years I threw powders with my RCBS Uniflow with the micrometer insert.....then I bought my Harrell's Premium meter. I actually bought the Harrell Custom 90 meter first which I loved but I sent it back because Lynwood Harrell (smart man that he is), let my test drive a Premium, which I bought. I won't sell my Uniflow, preferring to keep it as a backup should I have my Harrell Premium out of commission until I can obtain a replacement.

For smaller grained extruded like H4895, H4350, H4831sc and other short cut powders I will throw my charges. I'm using Rel 25 in my 30-06 Ackley Imp and can only get to with +/- .4 gr (.8 gr total). I need to perform a long range test on "thrown" charges of Rel 25 and convince myself I don't need to "throw and trickle to weight".

Another reason I like to throw is I can load and develop loads at the range. No need to have a scale, electric or beam (my fav).

And last but not least, after reading the treatsie by Glen Zediker in his book on Competitive Reloading, I'm convinced weighing from day to day, I will end up with different weights in the case as powders can and do gain/loose moisture, hense weight; and scales, when zerod from day to day change their zero. Where as a "volume", read that as "thrown or metered", will not change with a culver style of meter such as the Harrell's.

That's my take on the subject.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:51 PM

I also use the RCBS beam scale it's all I ever used, reloading is a relaxing hobby I never hurry my loading time.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Gold Member

GSPP, did you notice a big difference between the Custom and the premium Harrell Powder measure?
I am currently using the Custom., very nice but doesnt seem to be enough to eliminate weighing every charge.