Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Powder measuring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Silver Member

Powder measuring

When reloading my rifle shells I use a RCBS beam scale and measure each powder charge this way. I do find that it is quit slow, but I do have good results at the range.
Should I look into getting a powder measure for time savings?
What do use guys use, and also what would you guys suggest that I do, should I stay with my beam scale or use a powder measure? If you do recommend a powder measure which one would you suggest?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: Powder measuring

Lefty 15,
I have and use two different powder measures.#1 a Harrold measure,which is very accurate with ball powders and very small flake.I use this at the range where I load for the 6ppc benchrest round.#2 ,don't laugh,at my loading bench I use a $20.00 Lee powder measure.Since I weigh the powder charge and trickle up with a 10/10 balance beam scale.If you are weighing the powder charge,anyway,might as well save money on the powder measure.
FWIW,
Jim
Old 03-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Bronze Member

I use a Pact Digital Combo. After dialing in charge weight I check every five charges with an Ohaus beam scale. These are rated +/_ 1/10gr. Speedy enough for me.
Arizona Wildlife Foundation
Old 03-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Bronze Member

I have always and will always weigh every charge for precision rifle shooting, as long as I use and extruded powder. I used Lee plastic dippers for long time and trickled my loads up. I have recently (6 months ago) purchased a RCBS Uniflow powder measure and I am EXTREMELY happy with it. It sped my reloading time up...maybe 300%. I set it up to throw charges ~.3 grains low and trickle up. That way, if a charge gets thrown on the heavy side it will usually be right about perfect. After enough time behind the measure, you find that consistency in operation is key. My 45.4gr Varget throws are about 90% of the time within +/- .1 grs now....usually. I've heard good things about the cheap Lee Measure... never used one but the serious guys I've seen use them want as much or more accuracy than I do...For what that's worth.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

I use an old Hornady/Pacific powder measurer. With ball powers I drop straight in to the case. With extruded powders I drop charges approx. .1 grain short then trickle the rest.
I also have a Lee powder measurer. It is functional but I do not care for the ergonomics of it. For me the handle and the knob are too short. I also prefer the feel of the positive stop with a metallic measurer.
I loaded several thousand rounds using a Pacific, Redding and RCBS powder measurer before I settled on Hornady/Pacific.
I am sure the new Hornady powder measurers are at least as good as my ancient one.

James
Old 03-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Silver Member

I use my Midway Powder Dispenser when I'm using ball powder, and the Lyman DPS 1200, which I just acquired from Len, for the extruded powder. I don't trust the electronic scale at first but, during my last reloading session, it was proven that the electronic scale despenser was just as reliable, and accurate, as the balance scale. I verified ten successive drops using my Hornady Balance scale, and they're within 1/10th of grain, just as Lyman claimed it should be. The resultant performance of the load was posted here:

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...p;page=0#144266
Old 03-02-2007, 11:51 AM

I have had the RCBS combo for a few months now. I think it is about the best $$ I have spent in a while. If you can save up, bight the bullet, and get the combo, you will have the best of both worlds. Accuracy and speed.