Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Powder container size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

Powder container size

Hate to sound like I'm making mountains out of molehills, but this has been getting under my craw. My reloading cabinet is a finite space; i.e. - I can only fit so many powder containers in there. So why does one pound of powder come in a container that looks like it could easily hold 2 lbs? (I've got IMR, Hodgdon, Ramshot, Accuracte, Winchester, and Reloader/Alliant).

All I can figure is it's some kind of safety thing. If the powder combusts they don't want it in a confined space where pressure could build up. But that's just a guess.

While I'm on the subject, why are Federal primer boxes so big? CCI got that one right.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: Powder container size

IMO the federal boxes from the local i don't care cashier that drops them every time have more protection. I have a feeling the powder containers settle but it's just a hunch.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Powder container size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Bumpo View Post
Hate to sound like I'm making mountains out of molehills, but this has been getting under my craw. My reloading cabinet is a finite space; i.e. - I can only fit so many powder containers in there. So why does one pound of powder come in a container that looks like it could easily hold 2 lbs? (I've got IMR, Hodgdon, Ramshot, Accuracte, Winchester, and Reloader/Alliant).

All I can figure is it's some kind of safety thing. If the powder combusts they don't want it in a confined space where pressure could build up. But that's just a guess.

While I'm on the subject, why are Federal primer boxes so big? CCI got that one right.
I thought I was the only one that wondered that. I swear the only fill them half way. The old IMR cans used to be samller, just a pain to get all the powerd out of.

And for the Federal primers. I use a Lee hand primer and always drop a primer or two because the stupid boxes are so big. It must be a marketing thing. Take up more space for a bigger name presents.

I still wish they would make a 1/4 lbs cans for a sample pack for load testing. Package 4 different powders with similar burn rates to test. I hate having to buy a pound when you are just testing. If there wasn;t hasmat fees I would love to put together a poweder and primer swab.

Willys