Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Powder around neck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Powder around neck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem700addict View Post
Thanks for the info guys, I might. Try this on a few cases or just get more brass. Does that blowback account for any accuracy loss? I'm sure it would if I continued using it ASIs which I don't plan on doing. Thanks again.
I have never annealed a case in my life.And I get like 8 to 10 loading out of my 308 win brass.I use Lee dies and push the shoulder back .002 is all...I would try a little faster burn powder and see if it still does it..Sometime powder will case a blow back..why...no idea,,,good luck
Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

I'm just starting to play with a 7-08 and using some used brass a friend gave to me. The cases belong to his father that rarely shot them, only when hunting. He did shoot a lot in the BR matches. My first reloads with these used brass are getting powder back onto the shoulders. I'm also suspect that most of these are not very hot loads as I didn't load them for getting "the one", just mostly for breaking in, and possibily seeing if some of the combos would give me a hit to where my accuracy load will be found.

Anyway my question for now is are the Lee collet dies better at not over working the neck? I've had pretty good experience with them in other reloads.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

My 300 RUM does the same (carbon on neck). With everything from factory rounds to minimum loads, to max loads. And my hand loads are with freshly annealed brass.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Yes, I'd think I'm ok, but not sure. As long as accuracy is there, am I o.k.?

These used cases fit my chamber, before working them at all, so all I did was size the neck with the Lee collet die. I'm going to shoot them more and see if it has more to do with the slight differences in chamber "fit".
Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg View Post
Yes, I'd think I'm ok, but not sure. As long as accuracy is there, am I o.k.?

These used cases fit my chamber, before working them at all, so all I did was size the neck with the Lee collet die. I'm going to shoot them more and see if it has more to do with the slight differences in chamber "fit".
I have always thought that chamber dimensions are part of that " issue". Most of the factory chambers seem to be very liberal, especially with the magnum, and super mag chambers. It seems that my rifles that were chambered to minimum specs, do not soot the necks, and resizing is effortless. On the rifles that I do have, that soot the necks, no matter what, resizing is more of an effort. Maybe there's something to that, maybe not, just a thought!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

i can't swear that I'm right but I tend to disagree with the annealing theirs... were talking 55,000 +psi....even the hardest neck will still expand under that pressure. I think there is a good chance the chamber needs a good cleaning. That's my guess

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad

Last edited by Tikkamike; 05-13-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

FWIW, mine happened with a factory new, and cleaned chamber. I don't own a belted mag, but have seen more sooting on them in general. I always assumed it was becuase they headspace on the belt and so manufactures didn't care as much if the specs were a little sloppy around the neck and shoulder.

I'm going to neck size these cases of mine and see if the fire forming that should have happened made a difference. May load some a little hotter too, to see if that does anything.

Last edited by ntg; 05-15-2013 at 09:51 AM.