Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Is it possible thatspent brass from one chamber will not fit another?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Is it possible thatspent brass from one chamber will not fit another?

ok, so there is a tool that measures head space of the case. Is there also a tool that measures the chamber so one knows how much to trim off? Is there like a mfr spec, or do I need to actually get in there and measure it.

When you guys say your bullet is seated "right to the lands", how are you measuring this? How does one know where the lands start and the chamber ends? I told you I was going to ask some stupid questions, but that's what the internet is for right?

Now that I know that a die resizes the brass to the original specs, I see how that problem is solved. Everyone says that this is easy stuff, but from what I can see the people I have talked to who reload aren't exactly in it for the precision end of things, which is about the only reason I'm getting into it.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is it possible thatspent brass from one chamber will not fit another?

Yes, sinclair sells a case length guage that fits in the end of the case and is put into the chamber to measure exact chamber length.

However, for starting it is easier and simpler to just use max trim length in most reloading manuals. You will not know or be able to tell the difference starting off. Plus measure wrong and pressures jump up.

Starting off stay with the easier until you learn and become practiced.

BH