Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Poor man's long range gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2006, 10:47 AM

Poor man\'s long range gun

I have a rifle budget of about $1300 to spend. I was thinking Reminton Sendero in 300rum. I liked what I have read on the 300rum, but have always wanted 338 lapua. Any ideas?
Old 04-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Poor man\'s long range gun

Other than long range, what are your other needs?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:18 PM
SPONSOR

I believe the poor mans long range gun is also known as a savage rifle. For the money I dont think you can find a better gun to learn long range with. Savage makes a model 16 in a sporter 300 RUM and I thought I had heard of people ordering heavy bbl RUM's also.

Buy a Savage and put a bette stock on it and bed it. Spend the extra money on the optics and load you up some nice custom ammo.

I bet you would like the results.

good luck
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 04-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

I'll second lerch on the Savage recommendation. I don't know what their current offerings are in the 300RUM and heavy barrel, but I'll bet that you could rechamber a 300WM heavy barrel if need be. I have a Savage Tactical (only 24" barrel) heavy barrel that is rechambered to 7STW. It produces extreme accuracy unmodified other than the rechamber.
If I ever get one of the Allen Magnums, it will probably be on a Savage action. Good luck, Sam

NRA Life Member
Old 04-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Bronze Member

HBar,
If you wanted to to some customizing later on, say a match barrel or whatever, then I would get a rem. But most will agree the the savage rifles are the most accurate factory gun made, plus they now have a great new trigger. The choice is merely personal prefrence.
If you really want a 338lap., then get a 338 rem ultra. Almost as powerful, and definatly cheaper than a lapua, and barrel will probably last longer than a 300 ultra. I was going to get a rem sendero in 338 ultra...until they DISCONTINUED IT [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. The only thing you can get it in now is that ugly xcr thing. Savage might have a few more heavy barrel or target/longrange orientated 338 ultra's go check out their site.
I would not get cheap on glass, get something good. Burris, leupold in the higher magnification versions. I have had good luck with the tasco SS 10x $299; mildot, 30mm tube, 100 moa, and ok glass. Go look through some and see what you like. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

I would give some serious consideration into a 338-378Wby in an Accumark. My buddy just got one and what a sweet heart. I have 3 Accumarks and that will be my next one. The Accubrake works really well and having the factory installed one will save you in the long run. Until then my 300Wby with 200 grain Accubonds will have to do.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I would give some serious consideration into a 338-378Wby in an Accumark. My buddy just got one and what a sweet heart. I have 3 Accumarks and that will be my next one. The Accubrake works really well and having the factory installed one will save you in the long run. Until then my 300Wby with 200 grain Accubonds will have to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

he said <font color="red"> poor mans long range gun
</font>

d-a