Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Polishing a body die?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Polishing a body die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
The thread is decending into a ******* contest between Larry and Bart and over complicating the issue.
Yeah, there's a bit of that, but I'm grateful because the consequence is I visited Larry's web site and ordered a couple of nifty reloading tools. He's improved the mouse trap - so to speak - with a few tools he's designed for reloading enthusiasts.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Yeah, there's a bit of that, but I'm grateful because the consequence is I visited Larry's web site and ordered a couple of nifty reloading tools. He's improved the mouse trap - so to speak - with a few tools he's designed for reloading enthusiasts.
Yes he does make some great stuff and is a nice guy to boot as he has helped me also. However he is also a smart business man and wants to expose his products as much as possible .
The problem with professionals is they only know how to do things the technical and professional way and sometimes that just confuses the average shooter who only has shade tree equipment at his disposal anyway .
I can waffle on all day long with technical jargon about guns in general but what does it really achieve if the poster does not understand it .
The subject of the thread was " Polishing a body die " and as far as I can see I am the only one who answered with a practical solution . I know it is because I have done it myself. The technique would not suit Bart or Larry with their million dollar work shops but in the shade of my mango tree it works ok to ease the die , slow but ok .
Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

The thread forked when it was suggested to back off on FL die settings instead of fitting a die.
I gave OP a solution at post #15, that directly addresses his concern(which is valid).
Old 08-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

I think the problem was clearly ID'd as an excessively large diameter chamber - relative to the body/resizing die being used. The problem has been idenitified, and solution(s) provided, for jsthntn247.

I open up a resizing die once using valve grinding compound spinning on a dowel connected to a battery operated drill, but the die ended up being non-concentric. The steel in these resizing dies is surprisingly hardened up during the manufacturing process. It took a lot of dowel turning time the way I went about it. Bullet bumper has devised and implemented methode to accomplish the job correctly. I knew my method was susceptible to runout, and that's exactly what I ended up with. I still use the resizing die, but it bugs me every now and then that booggered up my die. It was an RCBS sizing die for a .280 RCBS Improved - 30 degree shoulder.

Based on that experience, and no experience casting chambers with molten lead, I'd probably lean toward the Mikecr solution of a custom die for the rifle, if it was a rifle I loaded and shot a lot.

247 just needs to decide how he wants to resolve the problem of limited casing life.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

I have all the parts for a new rifle. Once it is plumbed up, if I am still having this problem I will get new dies. I've got 3 matches left to shoot with this gun ( no where near a factory rifle) so I am saving most of my brass for the next chamber. Thanks for all y'all's in put, I've already emailed the custom die maker that was suggested.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Bullet Bumper ......

It still provides several opportunities for shooters to learn from. This is a fairly simple topic that is commonly misunderstood. It was mentioned earlier that this is really not rocket science, and every shooter is free to pursue reloading as they would like.

Besides being in the shooting and reloading industry for decades, you can visit my website (over 150 pages of shooting and reloading information). This was designed to help shooters every single day (and has for the last 13 years).

I always recommend using at least two published reloading manuals, and verify the accuracy of your technical information before accepting it as fact.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Does anyone else in this thread see the flaws in Larry's reasoning?

How 'bout his incorrect headspace definition in that referenced page on his web site?