Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Polishing a body die?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Polishing a body die?

Are all these long range hunters putting their first shot at a target at least 600 yards and have the bullet strike within 1/2 MOA of the desired impact point without any external artificial support?

No bipods, pads, or any thing holding or supporting the rifle except human extremedies that may be stabilized with a sling?

Note that in high power competition, most strings of fire at targets that far away are shot with metallic sights; no scopes allowed.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Are all these long range hunters putting their first shot at a target at least 600 yards and have the bullet strike within 1/2 MOA of the desired impact point without any external artificial support?

No bipods, pads, or any thing holding or supporting the rifle except human extremedies that may be stabilized with a sling?

Note that in high power competition, most strings of fire at targets that far away are shot with metallic sights; no scopes allowed.
Your worried about everyone else accuracy and you should worry about your own.

You were on the 1988 Palma team shooting the palma rifle @ 800yd,900yda and 1000yd at the match held every 4yrs you were just one place out of being last place on your team for that match. the US team lost that match and that was a sling match no scope and sure got your name in the record books. You call record group .0077" luck what your excuse can't blame the ammo David Tubbs and his father placed pretty high.

Bart case you forget I made some comment about the 1968 Palma team and their win and the high score and here is your comment about it.

"the size of the target (rings) has everything to do with the scores fired for a given accuracy level of the equipment.

Old USA long range high power target rings used until the early 1970's:

V=20", 5=36" aiming bullseye, 4=54" 3=72" square target paper (original had a 2-point 20" x 72" panel on both sides; removed in the 1920's)

Great Britian long range fullbore target rings

V=14.4" (12" in Canada), 5=24", 4=48" aiming bullseye, 3=72", 2=96", 1=118" wide by 70" high target paper

USA long range high power target rings after early 1970's and adopted by the Int'l Palma Committee in 1991(?) as the standard for its matches.

X=20", 10=20", 9=30" 8=44" aiming bullseye, 7=60", 6= 72" square target paper

It's easy to see how a given shot distribution's dimensions will produce differnt scores depending on the target used. No wonder the USA set a record back then; the target's high scoring ring was 50% bigger than the British fullbore one used in virtually all other countries in Palma matches; 36" vs. 24" and the next highest ring was 54" vs. 48". "

You want to talk to me about my post I'll be glad to come up to loveland and meet you we'll have to do after I get back from hunting. Offer is still good but have to do it next year at the 1000yd BR match at Byers might want to start working on your loads.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for not answering my question. It must be a secret of long range hunters.

And your ingnorance of long range bullseye marksmanship is showing; again as it has before.

Meanwhile, continue your rants about my poor performance in one long range match. I wasn't ranked in the top 2% of all of the long range bullseye shooters when I was classified as such because of low scores. It makes no difference to you that I've proved some who shot much better than I did in that incident have fallen on their sword in other events of the same type. But you've got an axe to grind. So rant on. Many will find it entertaining. So I applaude your efforts to please others as well as yourself. Please don't find then post the results of matches I've won or placed on the medal stand at long range; that would cramp your style and I don't want you to feel bad. Otherwise, here's another dismal performance you can spread around.

At the 1971 Interservice Rifle Matches at MCB Quantico, VA, where the top rifle shooters from the armed forces meet once a year, in the 600 yard service rifle match I was shooting a 7.62 Garand. Put the first 12 record shots in the 6" X ring, then crossfired the 13th one on the target on my right; 'twas scored a miss. My score for all 20 shots was a dismal 190-15X placing me in the lower half of all.

There's many others I'll be glad to share with you; publically so all can see how bad I am.

Last edited by Bart B; 08-24-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
might want to start working on your loads.
You need to learn how to remember what I've posted regarding my load accuracy. It's as bad as your poor memory about other stuff I've posted.

I'll not put proof on this site to save you the embarrasment of your incompetetance in that area.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

So... did the die ever get polished?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

What die???
Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

I thought this thread was about Bart B.