Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Please read if you reload alot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM

Please read if you reload alot

I started reloading a couple of months ago and have a load worked up that shoots great in my 7 mm. Now for the prolbem I have. This morning I used one of my reloads to harvest a deer, after i got home i went to unload my rifle before I put it up and as I pulled the shell out after I shot the deer, powder came pouring out of my gun. The bullet was in the rifling and the shell without the bullet just came out. I have never had this happen. The bullet was not stuck in the rifle hard either,I took a cleaning rod and it just fell out. Did I do something wrong when loading the bullets? I have shot maybe 30 rounds loaded the same way and all have shot great and group great to any replys would be greatly welcomed
Old 10-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Please read if you reload alot

My guess is somehow the case may not have been resized or the bullet not totally seated. When you did load developement did you feed the rounds in single shot fashion or load them into the clip and cycle them in with the bolt?
Check the remaining cartridges by loading and cycling"CAREFULLY"through the action to see if anymore come apart. Also how close to or how far into the lands are you?

Good luck and congrats on the deer..
Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Gold Member

COL is too long, the bullet is jammed into the rifeling.

take one of your rounds and color the bullet with a magic marker, chamber and olck the bolt, raise the bolt and remove, if it sticks a bit, use a ramrod check the bullet for rifeling marks and adjust as needed.
RR
Old 10-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post

take one of your rounds and color the bullet with a magic marker, chamber and olck the bolt, raise the bolt and remove, if it sticks a bit, use a ramrod check the bullet for rifeling marks and adjust as needed.
RR
good advice here.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

one more thing to ask.did you run a second round in fast and hard.if so you pushed the bullet out [ deaper ] into the lands.I load all of my 223 loads to a long COAL then let the bolt do the rest of the seating for this one rifel.but I cannot throw one in hard,if I do and do not fire I'll end up pulling the bullet just like you did.but one more thing to look at.sometimes you can run a case in the die [ neck lee die ] and not size it as good as the rest.meaning less neck tension.and with loading into the lands you will get a pulled bullet when you don't shot it.this is what I get sometimes.but what works for me most of the time is to just unload the rifel nice and slow.
John
Old 10-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post

RR

I agree that this is most likely the culprit. Try the magic marker or look into the Hornady OAL gauge for measuring bullet seating.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the replys i got someone to help and we got it straiten out .