Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

PLEASE, help a new member with .260 Rem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 AM

PLEASE, help a new member with .260 Rem

Hey guys I am new to the forum here and I have a question regarding reloading .260 Rem. Since .260 loads are a little scarce to find I went ahead and bought a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit but the sad part was the guy that sold it to me knew nothing about reloading. (just a salesman moving merchandise)

So my questions is this what dies ie full length, neck sizing or what do you recommend I get and what brass should I start with .243 and neck up, .308 or try to find some .260 new brass. I would like to load either Berger VLD's or Lapua 139 gr Scenars since the rifle I had built has a 1 in 8"twist. I know it is a loaded question (no pun intended) but I really want to start out right with the minimum amount of headaches and the correct equipment.

Any suggestions would be appreciated because I don't think I am doing myself justice by shooting 120 factory loads.

I figure once I start reloading the bug will have bitten and I would like to start out right!

Thanks and I apologize for the long post.

Last edited by noflyers; 09-16-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Bronze Member

Re: PLEASE, help a new member with .260 Rem

noflyers,

good calibre you have there - i love my 260Rem custom.

Others will be along to comment but here is what works for me:

- Nosler custom brass (expensive but saves fannying around with case prep)
- Redding type S bushing neck dies (can't remeber the bushing size at the moment) - neck size only and trim when necessary...
- COAL: 2.775

Load:
- 139gr Lap Scenars
- CCI BR primers
- 43gr Viht N160

It is a fairly hot load so I would recommend starting 10% lower and working up to check it is okay in your rifle. For me this yeilds 2680fps (+/- 16fps)through a 26inch barrel. I regularly shoot up to 1200 yards with good results.

PS - I use the same press as you! There are folks with very strong opinions of what is a good (or bad) press. Frankly until I get much better/more experience with reloading the Lee will be just fine. I would spend your money on decent dies - again just my opinion.

'Those who beat their swords into plow shares may one day find themselves under the yoke of those who chose to keep their swords...'

Last edited by zigliss; 09-16-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 AM

zigliss-

Thanks for the input, that is exactly the type of advice/info I need.

Looks like I will be in your neck off the woods (relatively speaking) soon. I am due to be in Kensington sometime in the next month or so.

Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:24 AM
Bronze Member

No problem mate - enjoy your trip to London!

'Those who beat their swords into plow shares may one day find themselves under the yoke of those who chose to keep their swords...'

Last edited by zigliss; 09-16-2009 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:50 AM
Silver Member

Hi noflyers,

welcome to .260 ownership! I've got a custom 260 built by riflecraft here in the uk and the load i had it built for was this:-

lapua 243 brass with a 140 grain hornady amax using a cci benchrest primer and a good load of vitavori N560 I use 45 grains but the book says 44.1 so start low and work up , a hit at 2620fps is better than a miss at 2680fps so go for accuracy not max speed .

as a general hunting factory round the 140grain gameking load by federal is fab , not a sexy looking bullet but it works really well on game and shoots the tits off flys in my gun!

best of luck and if you start to high and blow up yourself,your gun or both it's not my fault :o0
Old 09-16-2009, 07:27 AM

tackb,

The Game King was another bullet I was looking at, so the more load reloading equip suggestions and work-ups people can offer the better off I will be.

.... you mean I can't blame someone else for my own stupidity if something goes wrong, I thought that was what we were suppose to do in this day and age!

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

I have a Remington Model 7 in 260 Rem.. Last year I had a 22 inch Hart barrel installed and it shoot much better than it did with the factory barrel. I plan to use this gun to hunt white tailed deer in Nebraska in Nov., so I am spending some time loading for that hunting trip. My shots can be from 100 yards out to 400.

First I use many Lee products. My press is Lee and both my full length dies and my neck sizing die is made by Lee(Collet die). I am using both Lapua 243 brass neck up to 264 and also 260 Rem brass. So far I can not tell a great deal of difference between the two makes of brass. My favorite deer hunting bullets are Nosler Accubonds so I am loading the 130 grainers along with RL-19 powder and WLR primers. With this load I am able to get about 2900 ft/sec and good accuracy. At least for me.

I have also loaded 120 Barnes TTSX bullets and RL-17 with Fed 210 primers. I shot them out of the Lapua brass. This would also make a great deer load.