Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

please define/describe lose primer pocket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Bronze Member

please define/describe lose primer pocket

Hey guys give me a little help on this subject. what is too lose and what is the best way to determine this. By feel or measurement.

thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: please define/describe lose primer pocket

If you use a hand primer you can feel them the best. I use an RCBS priming tool or sometimes just use the arm on my press. It doesn't matter, you can feel the lack of resistance when they seat. It just feels like they slide in with little or no resistance. I recently loaded and marked "loose primer" on 3 rounds just to see what would happen. One primer fell out of the pocket in the plastic ammo box. I save the Wby cases with loose pockets, (only 2 or 3 firings in tight chambers) and am going to build a pocket upset/swager to tighten the pockets back up. Midway has a pocket restorer (or reformer) listed, but I want to build one that works in my press.

I haven't even considered measuring them. It would be informative, but feeling them is conclusive.

Good shooting, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 12-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

The answer is pretty much what specweldtom said.

I've learned, for my operations, after about 4 reloads, to tap the case on the bench. If the primer comes out it's too loose.

Until specweldtom gets his swager gizmo built and on the market, I use a very small drop, use a sharp round tooth pick. and put that small drop on the primer then seat it. It appears that when the primer flashes and the powder begins to burn, the primer is the first thing to expand as I've had zero blow by. No marks on the case or bolt face. Seems to work.

The bigest problem is that the case draws moisture as the primer is no longer sealed well. Learned that when I got a leak in the zip loc bag in the ice cooler.

Next step is to get some sealer as those cases may get mixed with others that are used for hunting.

Always were protective eye wear when shooting and don't touch any delicate body parts during rest breaks when seating primers.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

this is a test I learned on a video I found one day - take a prep'd case and a primer, set the primer anvil down on a flat table and take your case and try to cover the primer with the case head (be careful) - and, if the primer begins to seat into the primer pocket with little force, vuala, bad case, toss it. Just be careful if you're using softer primers like Federal..(use CCI)..

Of course many times when seating primers you will begin to get good resistance then it slides in real quick-like at the end, I used to not mind, now I even toss those cases. Fired a few and had no problems, but wont even mess with them now.

Best way is to use a hand-primer IMO, once you get the feel for the primer sliding ALL THE WAY in th pocket with decent resistance you will know when one doesnt go in well .. takes some experience but not much.