Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Planning to begin reloading, need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Bronze Member

Planning to begin reloading, need help

The only experience I have reloading is pulling the leaver down on a press to reload shotgun shells when I was in high school but now I wish to start reloading for my rifle. What books on the subject should I read? Has any one used the Lee hand press kit? is it any good?

"The .30-06 is never a mistake" - Colonel Townsend Whelen
Old 06-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Miller Outdoors

Re: Planning to begin reloading, need help

I think a great read for you would be Richard Lee's reloading manual. The first 1/4 of the book is all about reloading. If you read through that you'll have a very good foundation upon which to get started.

I like the fact that Lee doesn't produce bullets like the Hornady and Speer manuals, so the info in it I think is more well-rounded and unbiased.

Link to see it here:

Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual - MidwayUSA
Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

there is a large and free pamplet by rcbs:" intrdution to handloading" . call them monday morning have them send you one. i used a lee hand die in 1970. it worked. you will need a powder scale . i like your quotes at the bottom. also the front part of hornady manuals have a section on "how to" and "why this or that". also some public libraries have reloading manuals in their stock.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

if you are going to load for 30-30 and 30-06 you can do real well with just VARGET for both.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Bronze Member

I would suggest you get the book ABC'S of Reloading.When I started loading my own ammo last year I didn't know anyone that reloads,so I bought this book first and have been loading for over a year know for 38sp.-7MM Mag.-22-250-25-06 and 300 Win Mag. Also I read about different techniques on sites like this one that have helped me allot also.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

The Lee hand press is "good" in that it works. Best used at the range, IMHO. I have one, use it for that and that only. It would be an unnecessary difficulty to do normal loading on it.

If you want a very good but compact and/or inexpensive press get the Lee "Reloader" press, mount it to a short board and "C" clamp the board where you need it to be. Later, if you do get deeper into it, the little press won't be a waste, you will still have lots of small tasks for it. I have two, one with a Universal decapper and one with a Lee Auto Prime II; love 'em!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

i started with the lee dies you had to pound in and out. no press. i was fourteen. made me appreciate the rockerchucker i got a year and a half latter 1970. i loaded almost 2000 30-06 match loads last year with it. the press is 40. amortize the original capital cost . very low.