Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Pet load showing sudden pressure?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Gold Member

Re: Pet load showing sudden pressure?!

I bought new stock of retumbo and H1000 and had trouble with both being too hot with proven loads. The H1000 I backed off 4 grains and still had pressure issues. Went back to RL25 which has never gave me problems and the problems went away and my accuracy got even better. Also a bit more velocity.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

I have not worked a whole bunch with Retumbo but it is the powder for my 264 Win mag. When working up loads I did notice that there was a very fine line between no pressure and lots of pressure signs between 1/2 grain of powder. I ran into big time ejector marks and stiff bolt 1/2 grain below the suggested max load. Backed it off 1/2 gr. and everything is perfect.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

I assume that you are checking the OAL of the brass and its not getting to long? Were the bullets in the lands? How often do you clean the barrel? Bumping and neck sizing usually dont cause problems like this it would have to be extreme but its possible something like that could be the problem. What about the lot of primers? What about the bullets? There can be a major difference in how long the bearing surface is and the thickness of the bullets form lot to lot no matter what bullets you shoot and they will cause these kinds of problems very very quickly. What does the firing pin strikes look like? Is the chamber clean? Sometimes not enough brass grip will cause this to happen as well. I always clean up my brass with 00 steel wool pads in my cordless drill so i have the same grip ever time. When the cases get hard this can happen as well.

I have went through at least 20 different lots of retumbo and given there was sometimes a .5 grain difference in the loads but never found any problems with it. Not saying that this is not the problem because it just happens but its rare for the H extreme powders to vary from lot to lot because they mix 3 lots at the same time so this doesnt happen. I have had more problems with 25 this way then any other powder. It can be sensitive when it comes to max load having .5 grain being to much.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Bronze Member

I do trim my brass after every firing. I also sort my bullets first by length from base to ogive then by bearing surface. I am usually very meticulous about cleaning my gun thoroughly. I did not, however, use a chamber mop last time and I will check to make sure the chamber is clean. It usually is as my brass is very polished and clean.

I wouldn't think that Retumbo would vary by so much from lot to lot but I will continue to check and double check everything that's been suggested. I appreciate the input.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Bronze Member

My load is:

72.5 grains of Retumbo
Fed 215 gm
nosler brass (trimmed)
168 grain bergers (sorted)
bump shoulder .002
load .002 off of lands (jump)

I clean my barrel every 20 rounds or so and usually clean the chamber. The firing pin strikes were fine last several week but were cratered last time when the pressure arose.

It is possible that I need to clean my chamber better. The only real difference so far that I can find is the new lot of Retumbo.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

drenge, if you have a chrono, lower your charge of Retumbo a little bit, and work your way back up to the same velocity that you were getting BEFORE you got the new lot of Retumbo powder.
I am using about the same load with WW brass in my 7RM, 71.9 grams Retumbo, Fed 215 primers, 168VLD.

Last edited by txsendero; 09-15-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenge View Post
I do trim my brass after every firing. I also sort my bullets first by length from base to ogive then by bearing surface. I am usually very meticulous about cleaning my gun thoroughly. I did not, however, use a chamber mop last time and I will check to make sure the chamber is clean. It usually is as my brass is very polished and clean.

I wouldn't think that Retumbo would vary by so much from lot to lot but I will continue to check and double check everything that's been suggested. I appreciate the input.
Yes be careful on how polished you get the brass. Maybe try some rougher stuff like o or oo steel wool pads. They look like the scotch brite pads.

bobby