Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Partial full length resizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Partial full length resizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantfoe View Post
If a standard full length die is used and the shoulder is bumped, the whole neck has been resized. The only way that I know of bumping the shoulder and partially neck sizing is with the use of a bushing die.
That's what I thought as well. I use a RCBS precision Mic to give me the headspace. I lower the die until i get .001 or .002 of bump. I'd be interested to see how many people use bushing dies and how many use expander balls

Unread 05-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Bronze Member

I guess the twist to this that I forgot to mention is that the caliber is a .300 Wby, which is headspaced off the belt. I tried screwing out the sizing die until it seemed I am just starting to form the shoulder. I tried to use a RCBS runout guage to find the shoulder, but it is impercise at best. I guess I can use the lock ring to repeat the sizing from session to session. It loooks like I am resizing about 3/4 of the neck.

I guess the alternative is the competition shell holders.
Unread 05-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winelines View Post
I guess the twist to this that I forgot to mention is that the caliber is a .300 Wby, which is headspaced off the belt. I tried screwing out the sizing die until it seemed I am just starting to form the shoulder. I tried to use a RCBS runout guage to find the shoulder, but it is impercise at best. I guess I can use the lock ring to repeat the sizing from session to session. It loooks like I am resizing about 3/4 of the neck.

I guess the alternative is the competition shell holders.

Just ignore the belt and set the shoulder back .001" (essentially forcing it to headspace off the shoulder), I've been doing this for years with the 7RM (most accuracy nuts do the same thing with belted magnums).

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 05-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantfoe View Post
If a standard full length die is used and the shoulder is bumped, the whole neck has been resized. The only way that I know of bumping the shoulder and partially neck sizing is with the use of a bushing die.

Exactly, with a bushing die, you set the shoulder bump and then set the neck bushing to size how much of the neck you want sized.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 05-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Exactly, with a bushing die, you set the shoulder bump and then set the neck bushing to size how much of the neck you want sized. AJ
IF it is a FL size die with bushings. If it is NS, it will never touch the shoulder.

BH
Unread 05-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
IF it is a FL size die with bushings. If it is NS, it will never touch the shoulder.

BH

Picky, Picky, Picky! But very correct. A NeckSize only bushing die won't touch the shoulder, must have a FullLength sizing bushing die.

AJ

Unread 05-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Bronze Member

Guys, thanks for all the good info!