Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

On Paper Vs Ballistic Program

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.ferg View Post
I used the ladder method to find the tightest and most consistant at 100 yards. I got this load to shoot a 3 shot group of (I believe) .312.. I have noticed that some of the brass that I am reloading is a tighter when chambered, so I wonder if that has anything to do with my consistancy. I have 200 rounds of new brass that I need to prep and load. In the future, I am going to have the action accurized and a jewell trigger installed. Right now, I just just want to get a happy median to shoot a muley and possibly an elk of it shows it face.
Yup! if some are tighter than others it will affect your consistency.
What is recommended if you have a factory barrel, is that you do the skim bedding and the trigger adjustment or trigger replacement if you want to, that way you won't be spending a ton of money for a barrel that might be the main problem. If after you have done that the rifle still is not shooting the way you want, now it's time to accurize the action and replace the barrel. That's how I was advised by the man who did it for me. I even wanted to replace the recoil slug by a better one and he did not advice it at this point. I'm glad he did, he saved me lot's of money and my rifle is performing to my expectations. His name is fiftydriver (The maker of the Allen Magnums that you have probably read about.
fiftydriver = Kirby Allen
e-mail = kballen@3rivers.net

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:50 PM

I found the culprit but read on for the results.
Just came home from the range,, loaded 10 rounds. First out of a clean bore was erratic at 3.5 high and 2 L windage 2nd, 3.25^ and .75< 3rd, 2.25^ / 1.25< They were all spread out. The 4th shot settled at 1.75^ and .75< followed by the 5th shot in the same hole!! I made my scope adjustment and the 6th and 7th shot hit 3.25 elev and 0 wind in the same hole!!. I then adjusted 2 clicks down and 8th shot 2.69 elev 0 wind. Well I shot the 200 yd mark and hit the target at 2.75 elv. 0 wind. I then shot the 300 mark .30 low 0 wind. What did I do to the gun to get it to preform? Nothing at all. It was not me either. I had been shooting my brass for the second time and I suspected something was wrong so I loaded new unfired brass .. I sized it all and loaded it. It shot like a dream. I guess when I was working up loads the first time, some of the brass stressed . I hate to discard the once fired brass but my gun just don't like it! Thanks For all your input.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.ferg View Post
I found the culprit but read on for the results.
Just came home from the range,, loaded 10 rounds. First out of a clean bore was erratic at 3.5 high and 2 L windage 2nd, 3.25^ and .75< 3rd, 2.25^ / 1.25< They were all spread out. The 4th shot settled at 1.75^ and .75< followed by the 5th shot in the same hole!! I made my scope adjustment and the 6th and 7th shot hit 3.25 elev and 0 wind in the same hole!!. I then adjusted 2 clicks down and 8th shot 2.69 elev 0 wind. Well I shot the 200 yd mark and hit the target at 2.75 elv. 0 wind. I then shot the 300 mark .30 low 0 wind. What did I do to the gun to get it to preform? Nothing at all. It was not me either. I had been shooting my brass for the second time and I suspected something was wrong so I loaded new unfired brass .. I sized it all and loaded it. It shot like a dream. I guess when I was working up loads the first time, some of the brass stressed . I hate to discard the once fired brass but my gun just don't like it! Thanks For all your input.
s.ferg,

I'm glad you figured that much out. I would not discard your once fired brass, fist time ever I hear of a rifle shooting better with virgin brass, it's always been my experience that once fired brass will always be more accurate, when it goes bad it shoots the same, but never worst. Don't get rid of it and when you don't have much to do, measure your once fired brass versus your virgin brass, play with the resizing dies and you might be surprised.
Glad it's working for you.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!

Last edited by Eaglet; 09-11-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:08 AM
Gold Member

s.ferg,

Having read through all you have gone through in the past week or so with your load I hate to throw a rock in the mill here. What your seeing with your load is something we have seen while using Retumbo specifically at the higher loads. IF you have any H-1000 it has proven much more user friendly for us with the particular combination your shooting. I will try to get his load posted here in a little while just in case you might want to give it a swing in the future.

He had the same issues with case expoansion using the Retumbo and also got erratic groups once he got on the upper end of the load. With the H-1000, he is getting one hole groups out past 300yds. Factory Sendero with a trigger and brake added.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 09-11-2007, 08:07 AM

Post it up. I am always open to suggestions. I have plenty of h1000. It shot extremely tight groups using 88 gr under a 200 gr partition. Thanks again
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

s.ferg,

The info below is what 41mag was referring to.

Retumbo will stretch primer pockets on the high end. RL-25 gives outstanding velocity numbers but is very very temp sensitive and I will not use it anymore.

The load that just flat out works for me the best is:
Remington Cases
97gr of H-1000
Fed. - 215M
185 VLD @ 3400fps - .569 B.C.
3.600 OAL

Expect 1 hole groups @ 300 and nickle size at 500. And yes I can back it up.

We have used Exball to develope the drop chart. In our area out to 500 using the NP-R2 reticle in the Nightforce and the Exbal data, it is right on the money, just have not had the time to strech it out past there.

If you want to check the drop using this load from your rifle against what I use here are the numbers for a 200yd zero. Measurements are in IPHY or Inches Per Hundred Yards.
Yds. ELEV.
200 0"
250 -1.8"
300 -4.6"
400 -13.3"
450 -19.4"
Old 09-11-2007, 12:32 PM

As a matter of fact , I have 4 8 lbs bottles of rl 2217 which is bought hodgon from an australian company and repackaged by Hodgon as h1000. I paid 69.00 a tub. I have 2 unopened 8lb tubs extra if anyone would like some.