Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Overall length what is too long?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Overall length what is too long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaps View Post
Good thread, I'm in the same boat. I was going to buy the one he uses in this clip on amazon for $18.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9OZ8u8e7mSc

But after reading this I may just make a dummy round.....

Has anyone used this product?
Awesome video. For the $18 I might just pick one up.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Bronze Member

This seems like a good method on the cheap.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

sofaking, that video that you posted pretty much covers how I do it. With 1 exception I collet size a case from my rifle and LIGHTLY lube the inside of the neck to allow the bullet to enter the case.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Silver Member

Single shot LR rifle is no handicap. The O.A.L. should be driven by accuracy unless there is a reason to have to feed up through the magazine. Ditto's to the others who pointed this out. You have to think outside the box (magazine).

I use an old school method that still works. No case required. Needed:
Selection of bullets
New pencil w/ erasure
Cleaning rod
Cleaning jag w/ flat tip. Cut off any pointy thing and make sure it's flat and square
Drill stop collar the diameter of the cleaning rod. Looks like a short round nut w/ slit and bolt to clamp around the rod
Measuring Caliper

1)With the bolt in the gun put the rod/jag down the bore from the muzzle with the stop collar slid up to the rod handle. Slide the drill stop down and carefully tighten the collar flat on the muzzle with the rod/jag pushed against the bolt face. This is your barrel length and case head location. The bolt should be cocked so the firing pin does not protrude.

2)Remove the bolt from the gun and push a bullet into the lands lightly with the eraser side of the pencil muzzle pointing up. You have to juggle this around to do it with one hand. I spring clamp the gun to a table. The rod/jag should move freely up out of the barrel. Move the pencil up and down to lightly contact the rifling with the bullet, the bullet should be able to move back and not be held by the rifling.

3) With the caliper measure the distance between the muzzle and bottom of the stop collar. This is the O.A.L. of the round to bullet engagement of the rifling, e.i. "jammed".

You can do every bullet in that caliber in ten minutes. I write that measure for each bullet inside the top of the reloading die box on a shipping label.

You do this because it is possible to have a bullet that "jams" before max cartridge length in reached. Nosler has a warning using the 375 cal 260gr Partition in the 375 Ruger. Can't use the crimping groove or it may jam tight raising pressure. In my barrel the Nosler jams @ 3.331" and w/ 2.580" brass and bullet crimped into the groove the C.O.A.L. is 3.300" for a jump of 0.031". Just got lucky as Savage uses a different throat leade than Nosler's test barrel.

Most reloaders never do this important step. It speaks well of you that you are pursuing this step.

KB
Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
Single shot LR rifle is no handicap. The O.A.L. should be driven by accuracy unless there is a reason to have to feed up through the magazine. Ditto's to the others who pointed this out. You have to think outside the box (magazine).

I use an old school method that still works. No case required. Needed:
Selection of bullets
New pencil w/ erasure
Cleaning rod
Cleaning jag w/ flat tip. Cut off any pointy thing and make sure it's flat and square
Drill stop collar the diameter of the cleaning rod. Looks like a short round nut w/ slit and bolt to clamp around the rod
Measuring Caliper

1)With the bolt in the gun put the rod/jag down the bore from the muzzle with the stop collar slid up to the rod handle. Slide the drill stop down and carefully tighten the collar flat on the muzzle with the rod/jag pushed against the bolt face. This is your barrel length and case head location. The bolt should be cocked so the firing pin does not protrude.

2)Remove the bolt from the gun and push a bullet into the lands lightly with the eraser side of the pencil muzzle pointing up. You have to juggle this around to do it with one hand. I spring clamp the gun to a table. The rod/jag should move freely up out of the barrel. Move the pencil up and down to lightly contact the rifling with the bullet, the bullet should be able to move back and not be held by the rifling.

3) With the caliper measure the distance between the muzzle and bottom of the stop collar. This is the O.A.L. of the round to bullet engagement of the rifling, e.i. "jammed".

You can do every bullet in that caliber in ten minutes. I write that measure for each bullet inside the top of the reloading die box on a shipping label.

You do this because it is possible to have a bullet that "jams" before max cartridge length in reached. Nosler has a warning using the 375 cal 260gr Partition in the 375 Ruger. Can't use the crimping groove or it may jam tight raising pressure. In my barrel the Nosler jams @ 3.331" and w/ 2.580" brass and bullet crimped into the groove the C.O.A.L. is 3.300" for a jump of 0.031". Just got lucky as Savage uses a different throat leade than Nosler's test barrel.

Most reloaders never do this important step. It speaks well of you that you are pursuing this step.

KB
This seems like a great way to do a bunch of bullets fast. I do know with my sinclair tool i do an average of 3 measurements as they can and do come out a bit different but i can usually keep it to .003 how close does the above get you KB?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 PM

Overall length of the rifle is up to your taste. Overall length of the barrell finds most barrels under 32.5 inches, although there is room for improvement on large cartridges that spit most of the powder out the muzzle, like the .284 Win Mag. I'd love to try that old barrel burner out at a longer length!

Overall length on individual cartridges are defined when the gunsmith drills the bore out with the form cutter for that specific bullet. If you load one longer that the hole by a couple of thousandths, the bolt will compress it. This could be very dangerous, resulting in an unintended firing with the bolt not locked down. A thumb is sometimes broken when the bolt comes flying back if it is left above the helix, but the guy down range is the unlucky one.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Repeat ability is dependent on you using the caliper. The anvils sit on top of the muzzle and under the stop collar. You have to just touch the stop collar. The biggest drawback is mangled bullet noses. Lead tipped suck in this respect but fully half of what I shoot these days have Nylon tips. The tipped bullets are dead nuts repeatable.

It is a simple but very effective way to measure. Started using it back when we built the Pyramids for Pharaoh......

KB