Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Overall, which is the best performer??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Overall, which is the best performer??

SMK, Amax, Berger, Wildcat?

I've killed quite a few deer with smk bullets but have never tried the others. I have 500 169.5 grain for my 270 AM, but I will not have time to try them this season on big game.

After speaking with R.G. at Wildcat bullets, I'm impressed with the design and his knowledge. In essence, I guess I wonder why would there be a need to use a match grade bullet if these Wildcats are available.

John Burns is sponsored by Berger and according to the folks at Berger, Mr. Burns has tested and is pleased with the outcome of their performance on game at long range.

No bias here for Wildcat bullets but they seem to be the "answer" I've been wondering about for a few years. Can anyone compare their performance with SMK, Amax, or Bergers on game?

The "what ifs" that concern me are "don't hit bone" but when shooting at 700 yards, it might happen and what are the typical outcomes from the match designed bullets?

The deer I've killed with SMKs have always been less than what most here would consider "long range." So, I was always certain of shot placement---and I've never personally had a problem with them. Well, one did screw up a beautiful cape on a nice buck one time with the exit hole but I just got a different cape.

Remarks?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Overall, which is the best performer??

I have been developing some loads for my 300 WM and 300 RSAUM with Berger VLDs and SMK. Today I shot a couple rounds at a steel "gong" if you will. The Bergers left no discernable mark on the unpainted metal. The 190 SMK left a rather deep nickel sized imprint. I shot 168, 185 and 190 VLDs into the same gong with no marks. That is all I can add to your response.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Gold Member

I came to the same conclusion about the Wildcat Bullets. They fly with the best match bullets in some calibers & perform on game when they arrive. We used the 125gr. 25 cal.
Wildcat in Wyoming on 6 Antelope & 3 Mule Deer & now 1 AR.
Whitetail with devasting effect.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

nomosendero:

Here’s another vote for the Wildcats. I find them to be as accurate, if not more so, than anything else I’ve every shot and yes, they do perform on game. At 100 yards they’re consistently doing one ragged hole and at longer ranges they hold about ¼ moa with fire form loads.

I took my deer and elk this year with the 7mm Wildcat 200 grain ULD RBBT slugs and they worked flawlessly. Bang flop in both cases. The ranges weren’t extremely long but in both cases I was completely satisfied with their performance. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2005, 04:03 AM

I made .30 Cal. MatchGrade bullets for many years for NRA HP shooters and shot thousands of them myself. I've killed "several" whitetails with them using J-4 jackets and not once....did I find the bullet intact! The bullets always fragmented to a degree that I thought was totally useless! Killed the bucks....but in the final analysis...the bullet DID NOT retain it's structural integrity!! J-4 jackets which Berger uses to make his bullets are of "straight-wall" construction design interior and exterior whereas Sierra jackets are tapered on the interior and have a thicker base design over the J-4 jackets! For this reason if I were going to use these type bullets on game....I'd choose the SMK!

FWIW!!
Old 11-24-2005, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

Stephen,

How far was the plate placed, that you were shooting the Bergers at ?

We shot some into a 12" dia. blind flange, which left some pretty decent sized craters. I was impressed with them on the steel, and my bud was impressed with them on a hog out past 1K yards. Of course that is what we were looking to do with them in the first place.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 11-24-2005, 07:57 AM
SPONSOR

Richard will be getting some of the Sierra jackets soon if he doesn't already have them. I know the bullets mentioned in this topic are J4s. Looks like Richard is about to make an even better product!!!!