close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Reply

other bullets for 270 Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:34 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 158
Re: other bullets for 270 Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
You didn't say your FPS or if you are approaching max book load (which book).

If you have a new M70 in 270 it should have a 1:10 twist. You 'should' be able to shoot up to 130 TTSX but ...

Combining my work with both and here is what I would suggest:

Try 110TTSX or 95TTSX as fast as you can go, they will probably stabilize better.
At .5 grains over book max (Barnes book and Nosler website) for all 3 powders, they run at about 3050 to 3120 fps with no pressure signs. But since I'm over book max, I'm don't want to run any more powder. It is a new M70 with 1:10 twist. IMHO 95 or 110 TTSX are too light for whitetail. I want to push at least a 130 grain bullet. Just my opinion.

Marksman66: I thoroughly clean the barrel after each trip to the range (20 to 30 rounds). I shoot 4 to 6 fouling rounds before shooting groups: yes it takes that many fouling rounds before they settle down. I use Boretech carbon and copper remover until there is no black or very much blue (copper) on the patches. Yes it is a wood stock, but there is plenty of free space between the barrel and the stock. Yes, bedding is one thing I may have to do.
Reply With Quote
  •   #23  
    Unread 10-30-2013, 11:39 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: OHIO
    Posts: 2,417
    Re: other bullets for 270 Win

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmax1800 View Post
    IMHO 95 or 110 TTSX are too light for whitetail. I want to push at least a 130 grain bullet. Just my opinion.
    My first hand experience is the 110 TSX is deadly on deer. It's all my brother uses and has used for about a decade now and he kills several every year. Hunters use 6mm bullets annually to kill whitetails that weight less than 110 gr.
    __________________
    Derek M.
    Reply With Quote

      #24  
    Unread 10-31-2013, 09:37 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: California Central Coast
    Posts: 2,984
    Re: other bullets for 270 Win

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmax1800 View Post
    At .5 grains over book max (Barnes book and Nosler website) for all 3 powders, they run at about 3050 to 3120 fps with no pressure signs. But since I'm over book max, I'm don't want to run any more powder. It is a new M70 with 1:10 twist. IMHO 95 or 110 TTSX are too light for whitetail. I want to push at least a 130 grain bullet. Just my opinion.

    Marksman66: I thoroughly clean the barrel after each trip to the range (20 to 30 rounds). I shoot 4 to 6 fouling rounds before shooting groups: yes it takes that many fouling rounds before they settle down. I use Boretech carbon and copper remover until there is no black or very much blue (copper) on the patches. Yes it is a wood stock, but there is plenty of free space between the barrel and the stock. Yes, bedding is one thing I may have to do.
    If 95 or 110 are too small, time to rebarrel. 300 RUM is what I'd suggest.
    __________________
    Fred Seaman - NRA Life Member
    “Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”
    "Quit worrying about the little things, good luck and god speed"
    Reply With Quote
      #25  
    Unread 12-20-2013, 04:01 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Posts: 3
    Re: other bullets for 270 Win

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
    My first hand experience is the 110 TSX is deadly on deer. It's all my brother uses and has used for about a decade now and he kills several every year. Hunters use 6mm bullets annually to kill whitetails that weight less than 110 gr.

    I use 110 grs TTSX on my voere .270 win, 61.8 grs of WW N160.
    One of my friend with this load shot a deer that was about 450 lbs last week at 150 yards, result was perfect ! great bullets !!
    Reply With Quote
      #26  
    Unread 12-21-2013, 05:14 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 33
    Re: other bullets for 270 Win

    I strongly suggest getting a bedding job on your gun. This will noticeably increase the accuracy on your rifle.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC