Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

other bullets for 270 Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

Re: other bullets for 270 Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
Try folding some paper or thin cardboard and placing it between the barrel and stock near the end of the forearm to create just the slightest bit of pressure.
That's a thought. But with a wood stock, won't temperature and humidity changes tend to warp the stock and put different amounts of pressure on the barrel resulting in either different point of impact or group sizes? And in a hunting situation, I wouldn't know exactly what the difference might be???
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

I would try some 140 or 150 grain bullets. I bought a Vanguard 270 Win this past year and it just did not like 130 grain bullets.I tried TSX's, Accubonds, Hornady.s etc. and none shot under 1 inch.. I loaded 140 grain Accubonds and the guns loves them. It will shoot them under 1/2 inch.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
Try folding some paper or thin cardboard and placing it between the barrel and stock near the end of the forearm to create just the slightest bit of pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax1800 View Post
That's a thought. But with a wood stock, won't temperature and humidity changes tend to warp the stock and put different amounts of pressure on the barrel resulting in either different point of impact or group sizes? And in a hunting situation, I wouldn't know exactly what the difference might be???
For years I've done the same thing, but with layers of electrical tape (Scotch 33+ is what I use). Assuming the stock is properly sealed, you shouldn't have any problems with warpage. It's turned a number of wood stocked M70 Fwts (270, 284, 7x57) and 700 Mtn Rifles into consistently (no POI change on the range at temp's from 30 to 70 degrees/varying humidity conditions) decent shooters. It works with non-wood stocks, too.

Most barrels, especially light ones, like some 'up' pressure.

Works for me!!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortmagman View Post
I would try some 140 or 150 grain bullets. I bought a Vanguard 270 Win this past year and it just did not like 130 grain bullets.I tried TSX's, Accubonds, Hornady.s etc. and none shot under 1 inch.. I loaded 140 grain Accubonds and the guns loves them. It will shoot them under 1/2 inch.
What's your load?
I've been trying the 140 ABs in my Vanguard and have yet to be consistent with the results.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:47 AM
Silver Member

Sometimes a rifle just does not shoot well. No matter how many "thou" your projectiles are off the lands or what kind of "pills" you shoot. With all the work you have put into this one perhaps it is time to call it a day, use the factory ammunition it does best with and go hunting. Just sayin.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbm View Post
Sometimes a rifle just does not shoot well. No matter how many "thou" your projectiles are off the lands or what kind of "pills" you shoot. With all the work you have put into this one perhaps it is time to call it a day, use the factory ammunition it does best with and go hunting. Just sayin.
I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet! Plus I will only shoot a hunting rifle if I know it will consistently and accurately shoot where I'm aiming. I'm NOT going to shoot a rifle that might only wound an animal.

I'm going to try putting something between the barrel and the forearm to put some up pressure on the barrel. Mike at Nosler suggested shooting at 200 yards to see if the bullets will "go to sleep" by 200 yards and get consistent groups. Since I'm getting a few good groups at 100 yards and some bad groups, Ty at Barnes thought it might be a bedding problem. So I'm going to look into having the recoil lug and the receiver bedded by my gunsmith.

Even though this is a featherweight, its a new model 70. These are known for shooting well. I just have to figure out what's going on and fix it. Hopefully with all the experience and expertise on this forum, I can figure it out.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Have a friend that has the same rifle as yours. It shoots ok but he has done nothing to it and it shoots about like yours. Best of luck though.