Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Oppinions on Redding type S dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Oppinions on Redding type S dies

I never got results with the Redding S dies that was satisfactory. I switched to Lee collet neck dies and have been a happy camper ever since. Not only do I get straight ammo, I don't have to lube.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Use them all the time and if they are set up properly and machined properly, they will give very good results. The trick is getting the proper bushing and once you have, they are great.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Bill,

You might have a bad die or possibly the setup is wrong. Sometime ago, a fellow told me he was having bad runouts with an "s" die. I took the die home and loaded some ammo with it and it ran .001 on concentricity. Then I asked him to check his press. He brought the press in the next day and his ram was visibly bent and very wobbly (probably from a factory defect). He bought a new press and the ammo got much better.

Oh, and if Redding makes a useless die, it is not the "s" die but the comp neck sizer. It has a floating sleeve which is nice but not really needed on a neck sizer and the micrometer on top is just for people who can't loosen a nut and turn a depriming pin.

I'm all in favor of a mic on a seating die though!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Bronze Member

JD

I have about 20 different carts in RCBS and recently bought 4 sets of Redding. I know it is personal taste to a point but I like the Redding dies. I can change several settings with out using a wrench on my dies. The last set I bought was a deluxe bushing die set for 7 RUM. Really nice not having to lube to reloading cases.