Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Opinions wanted about dies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Bronze Member

Opinions wanted about dies

Guys, I would like some opinions about die choices. I have used competition dies and regular dies and would like to know how you guys feel about comp seaters vs. regular seater and bushing resizers vs. regular.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Opinions wanted about dies

First off, I will admit that I have no first hand experience w/ either. With that said, I will pass on the info that I have recieved: Bushing type dies are only necessary if you have to turn your cases (usually for a custom rifle) or if you want to seat your bullets really loose (some w/ single shot rifles like to do this). I plan on purchasing a comp seating die in the future to help increase the seating consistancy and I guess they are easier to adjust the desired seating depth.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

I like bushing dies because it allows me to adjust the neck tension on my cases , but I only bother with them in custom built guns , maybe I'm selling myself short on the factory guns but I feel that the standard style dies do a fine job and their are alot of other worries with the accuracy .

As for the seating dies , I use the Forster ultra mic top seaters as much as possible. Foir the price I haven found a die that seats straiter ammo. Well worth the money. !!!

Now I will say that the Lee collet dies are simply amazing and I would pay 5x what they cost to get them.

My personal die setup for 90% of my calibers is a Forster FL die, Forster Ultra comp seater and a Lee collet die. I do have several sets of Redding dies and they work great also , I have just found the above mentioned setup to fit me perfectly
Old 04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

FL bushing neck die, competition seater (either Forster or Redding).
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

I use Redding bushing dies and competition seaters. In the AR I just FL size with Forester dies.

Forester just came out with some bushing dies. They come with 3 different sized bushings then you can buy others but I heard they only offer the bushings in .002" increments. I was thinking of giving them a try.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:49 PM

I really like the Forster Ultra seaters. As said before, concentricity can't get much better. For sizing, I'd also agree that bushing dies must be matched to either a turned diameter or pretty consistent batch of factory loads.

The new Forster "bushing bump" die neck sizes with a bushing to size the neck and ALSO sets a consistent headspace at the same time - hence the "bump". It doesn't touch the body so the alignment remains good for the chamber.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

FL size die with bushings, either Redding or JLC conversions on Forester or custom made by JLC off the Redding body bump die with bushings.

Forester BR micro seater or wilson seaters for arbor press.

BH