Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

opinions on sierra game kings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Bronze Member

opinions on sierra game kings

Was wondering about there performance on deer, hog, medium sized game. do you get complete pass throughs and good wound channel damage for quick kills. I started reloading a few months ago and was thinking about trying these. thanks for any input
Old 10-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: opinions on sierra game kings

For that style of bullet, I would buy Speer first, Hornady second, then Sierra. That's based on about a decade of experience shooting all 3 in 3 states and killing many deer. Sure they all worked but for whatever reason, I found the Sierras hardest to get to group and I don't have a clue why that is. The Speer and Hornady did much better, much quicker. This is in 5 different rifles at the time and 2 additional that belong to my brother and his friend. I got complete pass throughs with most.

HOWEVER....... I really do like the Sierra HPBT hunting bullets, a lot. But I'd still buy Speer boat tails and spitzer flat based bullets first.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

I will say this from personal experience, some rifles will shoot boattail bullets and some just don't seem to like them. Shooting Sierra GK bullets in a rifle that digests BT bullets has always proven to be very accurate. I will say up front I have never shot any animal with GK's, and that is just because I just don't trust them as they are a thin skinned bullet and I have also heard too many horror stories of failure with them. I like Speer BTSP and all of the Hornady Interlock bullets and have shot many deer with them and Rem Corloct bullets without any bullet failure. If I were to shoot at deer with a Sierra bullet it would be the Pro-hunter, but I believe they are being discontinued although I could be wrong about that. It seemed that every time I would try to buy some prohunter bullets in a certain caliber they wouldn't offer the partricular bullet weight I was looking for so I always ended up buying another brand. I never saw the need to buy the so called "premium bullets" when the standard cup and core swaged bullets have always got the job done.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

The gamekings are guaranteed to do two things. If your gun likes boattail bullets they are extremely accurate. They will blow into a zillion pieces at first contact with whatever they hit. Extremely thin jackets. Except for these which have a stronger antimony lead core and a stronger jacket. 7mm-175, 30-200, and calibers 8mm and above. The others will blow apart. There is the odd one that happens to work but 90% will fail. For shooting deer you should be fine. But nothing bigger than deer. I will not and have not in 30 years let anyone come elk hunting with me if they shoot sierra gamekings unless it is one of the above mentioned.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 AM
Bronze Member

I have killed several hundred deer and hogs throughout my lifetime with Sierra Gamekings and Pro Hunters and I would say that 99% of them have dropped in their tracks. If you shoot them in the sholder, they will drop. Most will be complete pass throughs.

Not saying I would shoot an elk sized animal with them (would probably go with an Accubond or Barnes), but deer and hog you will be more than fine.

In .243 I have shot the 100 grain SGK.
In 30-06 I shot the 150 grain SGK.

Currently I shoot a .260 with 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunters and in my .300 mag I shoot the 180 grain SGK.

So far this year I have killed three hogs and one buck with the .260, all DRT. With the .300 I have killed four does all DRT.

In my, personal experience, they have performed outstanding. The only game that has ever run on me, with Sierra Bullets, were poor shots (behind the sholder).

One thing I always say though, shoot whatever hunting bullet your rifle groups the best. An accurate shot is more important than anything else.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
The gamekings are guaranteed to do two things. If your gun likes boattail bullets they are extremely accurate. They will blow into a zillion pieces at first contact with whatever they hit. Extremely thin jackets. Except for these which have a stronger antimony lead core and a stronger jacket. 7mm-175, 30-200, and calibers 8mm and above. The others will blow apart. There is the odd one that happens to work but 90% will fail. For shooting deer you should be fine. But nothing bigger than deer. I will not and have not in 30 years let anyone come elk hunting with me if they shoot sierra gamekings unless it is one of the above mentioned.

I have not shot a lot of anmials with the Game Kings because all of my loads use the SMK's now but never did I experience a failure shooting deer or feral hogs. Some of the rounds did not exit the hogs but then they were at longer ranges out of a 308 and no 308 will exit when hit in the shoulder (bad shot) on a 250lb hog at extended range of 300-400 yards.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 AM

As with all things, it comes down to opinion and experience. My father has used game kings exclusively for 50+ years, and has had great success with them. And I also believe that much of the responsibility lands on the shooter to put the bullet in the right place. I have used them with no complaints in many rifles. I believe they are one of the most accurate bullets on the market, and that plays into putting the bullet where it needs to be. I have used other bullets when called for, but would not hesitate to use them on most game unless it was dangerous game that called for a premium bullet.