Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Opinions on .300 wm dies please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member
"If you get the RCBS Gold Medal Match Seater which is available in 300 win mag then the internal collet supports the case body during the seating process."

The RCBS die's side loading gate is convienent but the "internal collet" (seating bushing) only supports the bullet and case mouth, the rest of the case is unsupported. The Forster and Redding BR/Comp dies align the entire length of the case and bullet in the same manner as bench rester's hand dies do, that's a much better system.

Unread 05-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Gold Member
Not true.

I don't know if the picture will show it

but on the one on the left the sliding collet comes down over the neck, shoulder and a portion of the case body (it is about 1 1/2" long). It holds the bullet in the collet also. So when you load the bullet in the side the bullet and the case are aligned before it starts in the neck, unlike any other seater in which you have to balance the bullet on the neck and then raise into the die. That is a better system for starting the bullet in the neck.

I have Redding Competition Seaters and RCBS Gold Medal Seaters and I can tell you from experience that they both do a good job. From experience, since I have both kinds, I can say that the RCBS Gold Medal Match is just as good if not better than the Redding Competition Seater.
If you can read this, thank a teacher.......if you are reading this in English, thank a soldier.
Unread 05-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Bronze Member
Decided on lee collet

Thank You very much for all the speedy responses.What a valuable resource this web site is.I,m not completely new to reloading,however the level of precision that you veterans operate at is new to me and I find it very worthy of respect.As a machinist I have a lot respect For precise work.I,ll have to order a high end seater die later as I,m trying to do this a little at a time.Thanks again,GRPB.
Unread 05-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Silver Member
300WM dies....

I like to use the collet die and a Redding body die. The collets give low run-out and the BD will bump the shoulder back when they get alittle stiff to chamber. I also have a Durachrome FL set that I use for autos. For seating, the Lee dead set or the Durachrome seem to work fine.

Have a Good One,