Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Operator error or what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Operator error or what?

I have never understood why bullet manufacturers add a cannelure to some bullets. I never crimp case mouths for a turn bolt rifle, and if I did I wouldn't worry about cannelure alignment.

BTW, my Browning A-bolt II in 308 has 0.160" jump to the lands when 165 grain Speer BTSP bullets are seated to max magazine length, but this doesn't seem to detract from the accuracy of it.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

If your 700 remington has a hinged floor plate you can get an extended magazine box from Wyatt and have your action fitted by a smith. It will allow for @ 2.95" COL witch should let you reach the lands. I did this to both my SA 700 remingtons
Old 06-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpoor View Post
I have never understood why bullet manufacturers add a cannelure to some bullets. I never crimp case mouths for a turn bolt rifle, and if I did I wouldn't worry about cannelure alignment.

BTW, my Browning A-bolt II in 308 has 0.160" jump to the lands when 165 grain Speer BTSP bullets are seated to max magazine length, but this doesn't seem to detract from the accuracy of it.
Some manufacturers have a functional cannelure by using it as a means to lock the copper jacket to the lead core. ie: Hornady Interlock. Or, other manufacturers have rings to decrease bearing surface. ie: Barnes TSX, Hornady GMX. Others are as you describe with no real reason other than for a crimp groove.

There is nothing wrong with ignoring the cannelure when seating your bullets. I agree it looks funny to have the cannelure that far above the case mouth, but that's about the only negative thing about it.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Looks good. how does it shoot?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Silver Member

Do not crimp the bullet on the smooth wall. It may cause a bulge that will prevent the round from chambering in your gun.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Looks like my 270 loads , I never crimp my bolt gun loads either, probably never will unless I get something like a 458.........
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Bronze Member

Well thanks for the input guys, I still have a long way to go. I was listening to the books tell me to always crimp hunting loads, so thats how I have been doing it. I guess I was lucky that the first rifle I loaded for had measurements that fell right on the cannelures of the bullets I've used so far. This is primarily going to be a long-trek gun, and I wasn't sure just how much "abuse" the rounds could take. I'm gonna try loading some up of different lengths and see what works and what doesn't.

7loader- Still don't know yet, waiting on the base to arrive. Can't wait to find out though! I was trying to get some loaded up for it's christening.