Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

oops wrong primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

oops wrong primers

My wife was nice enough to stop at the local scheels and pick up some primers on the way home. Unfortunately they only had magnum primers left in the large rifle variety. I have never used magnum primers. I only reload for 223, 243, 280 & 308. I still have several hundred regular large rifle primers left so I am not in dire need. None of the reloading manuals I have show use of the magnum primers. Any ideas on what to do. I would be open to trade or return but the scheesls doesn't have any of the large rifle primers in stock to exchange for. Should I just sit on the magnum primers? Use them and start load development all over again?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: oops wrong primers

Can't you just get a refund at the store? Then when the right size comes in, go back and get them?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

We use large rifle magnum primers in my sons 7mm-08 and they work awesome. I can't imagine that you'd have any trouble but I am not for certain.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Bronze Member

Just use them in any large rifle cartridge...it won't hurt one thing, so don't worry about it a bit..........someday they maybe worth gold so don't trade or give them away.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Gold Member

Yes of course you can use them. You are right that it could effect your loads perfect balance. Not enough to be unsafe unless your already overloaded. If you have a seriously refined load it may or may not need tweaked when you get to that point.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Drop any load you try back 5% and work back up. I've used mag. primers in a 243 win pistol before, and it worked well. It got things moving in a hurry and was faster than any regular large rifle primed load. You probably aren't dealing with a 14" barrel, so that will mean less to you, but no worries if you play it safe.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Drop any load you try back 5% and work back up. I've used mag. primers in a 243 win pistol before, and it worked well. It got things moving in a hurry and was faster than any regular large rifle primed load. You probably aren't dealing with a 14" barrel, so that will mean less to you, but no worries if you play it safe.
I agree drop the load back. You should have no trouble. Did this except I used large rifle in my 7mm mag. Still worked after a little work.