Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Oops! Screwed Up!! Need Help???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Bronze Member

Oops! Screwed Up!! Need Help???

Hi Guys! I was releoading some 7MM Rem Mag on a full re-sized case and realized that i loaded to much powder after I had seated the 165 VLD.. So i used the bullet puller tool and took out the bullet and powder. Put new powder in and used a new bullet. I did not resize the case. These bulletts did not go in as tight as a new bullet. Am I going to be in trouble? Should I take these bullets down and start all over? Thanks
Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Gold Member

Re: Oops! Screwed Up!! Need Help???

If you load the cartridges one at a time you should be OK.....Most likely. So if these are just a few rounds for load developement.....then possibly....

If you are going to load them into magazine you need to be sure that teh bullets are tight enough not to slide deeper into the brass as you could get dangerous pressures.

If it is not too much trouble, I would break them down and start over.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Gold Member

Take Aldon's advice. The one thing I have found in a similar situation is that accuracy was affected after restuffing. I have played with this problem a number of times and have come away with the conclusion that you end up with too much variation in neck tension from one round to another. If you were just fire forming one round at a time I would see no problem but if your checking for accuracy or hunting I'd take the time to redo the brass by just pulling your decapping pin and neck sizing
Old 07-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

The safe thing to do is start over. Take the decapping assembly out of the FL or neck die and run them through it to re set your neck tension.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkslayer1 View Post
Hi Guys! I was releoading some 7MM Rem Mag on a full re-sized case and realized that i loaded to much powder after I had seated the 165 VLD.. So i used the bullet puller tool and took out the bullet and powder. Put new powder in and used a new bullet. I did not resize the case. These bulletts did not go in as tight as a new bullet. Am I going to be in trouble? Should I take these bullets down and start all over? Thanks
I would pull out the bullets since it would keep you wondering. Screw out the decapping rod and pin of the resizing dies so that it cannot decap your existing primer. Apply only small amount of lube to the neck of cases on the inside and outside. Then fit the resizing die to the press. NB adjust the dies so that it is a few thousand's of an inch away from you previous setting. This will prevent the case body to be resized and end you up with a stuck case.