Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

It Only Takes A Few Seconds... Please Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Gold Member

Re: It Only Takes A Few Seconds... Please Help!

I contacted some people at various corporations trying to discover what the connection is. I have noticed several mergers with "me-too" companies, but there does NOT, at this time, seem to be any validity to Federal and Norma being in cahoots.

I did learn some other very interesting info . . . Federal makes Lake City stuff. Of course it is still made to mil-spec to handle their abuses, but should be and is top quality stuff.

Chronologically speaking, every major European CC (RWS, Lapua and Norma) have owned one another. There are no trade secrets between any of them. Since 1990 they have been swapping back and forth between munition companies. Interesting to me.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

GG

My comment was not for "news", just a statement of fact. As Sewwhat?? says. This has been so since I bought my first box in 1969. However, this fact is obscure if you do not shoot a Wby. I was more commenting on the fact that Wby votes should be combined with norma when one analyzes the results.

I was also obliquely pointing to the people who checked that they would never use Wby brass. If they do not have a Wby I am sure they have no use for it. But is it still very fine brass and has been kicking butt at 1000 yds for decades.

[ QUOTE ]
I acually have been working on some Remington brass of a good lot and was surpised that it actually had more uniform pockets and case heads than the last 3 batches of Lapua AND Norma!

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked over about 100 cases of Rem and 300 cases of Norma about two months ago and here is what I found.

Flash holes - 80-90% of Rem too large, 99% of Norma too small. Too small is OK because you can then open it up to same size. I won't go into detail with the other stuff but it was much the same.

I guess this is why you were surprised with your results.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Agreed.
Didn't mean to insinuate that your news was bad or boring old news, just well known news in comparison to the Norma/Fed news.

I hope my REmmy brass for my new wildcat has good flash holes. I haven't gotten to them yet but I am anticipating some work there for sure. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Eaglet,

Good poll.

Had one comment on the last poll question. To correct answer as to what causes brass to fail is generally to do witht he rifle itself or loading techniques and not the brass.

If the rifle is set up correctly in headspace with a quality dimensioned chamber and the brass is neck sized or partially FL sized and comfortable pressures are used in the case. The first thing to go in the case will be the case neck splitting.

If the rounds are loaded to high levels, the primer pockets will be the first to go.

On the topic of Wby brass. Yes its well known it is Norma brass. It is also very good brass on average but tends to be a bit on the soft side compared to the Lapua, Winchester and Federal hulls.

The biggest problem with the Wby brass is generally, again, the rifle. OR better put, the chamber and throat design of the rifle.

Good poll!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Kirby,

Our friend Ian M deserves the merits, he was trying to help me in getting some good info. It was a very good idea that's producing some awesome info. for many of us.
I always appreciate your input and ofcourse is very welcome. In spite of all, I sill messed up, my 14 years old caught it so fast when of course was too late for me to fix it. I won't tell you what it is... Please don't ask. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] and Kirby, please don't tell anyone especially Ian M. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] He'll probably shoot me from long range. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] sewwhat89 has to be a good man, he had mercy on me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Next time I'll have my son William (Billy) to check on me before I post... maybe...

Javier O Moncada

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
hope my REmmy brass for my new wildcat has good flash holes. I haven't gotten to them yet but I am anticipating some work there for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything you can do about it?

I don't mean to hijack the thread I would just be interested to learn what to do in this situation.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

I couldn't vote for primer pocket inlargement. Wasn't sure what it was. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]