Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

It Only Takes A Few Seconds... Please Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: It Only Takes A Few Seconds... Please Help!

A couple years ago, can't remember when, Federal bought out Norma. The timeline correlates with Federal's addition of vastly increasing Premium line and high energy/ higerh velocity loads. At some point, again this is all hearsay, Federal was using MRP and now its successor for the "Light Mag/Heavy Mag" stuff they have.

My saying it was the same as Norma is a reflection of my opinion that on both sides of the pond, they are the best commercially available. A qualifier to that is as follows: they are the best manufacturers of brass that make commercial brass in calibers that I have shot/owned.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

weatherby brass is all made by Norma. You can buy it with either headstamp but it is the same
Old 09-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Pretty interesting info... Federal buying out Norma, Norma making Weatherby... That would make weatherby a high quality brass!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Eaglet,
That was fun but some of your q's don't really have anything to do with the brass.

What fails first on well used brass is more a result of chamber dimensions, pressure curves, die dimensions and die setup. True, some brass like Lapua last very long but only if proper care is taken. If you don't set up your dies correctly or they are grossly undersized, running Lapua brass through them won't make it any better. A properly set up die using Winchester brass will last longer than the former.

And on asking the question of "what is your favorite brass", does this mean with neck turning or without because if you are neck turning more than .001" off Lapua, you will be cussing it like a sailor and wishing you'd bought Norma!

I acually have been working on some Remington brass of a good lot and was surpised that it actually had more uniform pockets and case heads than the last <font color="red">3 </font> batches of Lapua AND Norma!

Like you said, this will be interesting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Norma making brass for Weatherby is old news, but If Federal bought Norma-I have not heard it. ATK owns Federal and Thiokol and thier company list was released to retailers for an employee purchase program and there were several dozen sub-companies on the list and Norma was not one of them.

Not saying this is bs, but I would like to see more documentation on this if you have any. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

goodgrouper,
It's like Ian M said, it's all about getting information and I'm getting it. If I hadn't asked what I asked you would not have given me the info. you just did! Thanks!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I acually have been working on some Remington brass of a good lot and was surpised that it actually had more uniform pockets and case heads than the last 3 batches of Lapua AND Norma!

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been getting consitently 1/2" groups @ 100 yds with my 300 RUM factory barrel and remington brass. It's just getting good! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

Weatherby brass has always been made by Norma. Always being at least 20 years or so, its on the back of every box I have seen.