Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Once fired brass sticking (that was fired from the same rifle?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Once fired brass sticking (that was fired from the same rifle?)

Barrel was shortened from muzzle end. I use Redding dies with the comp shell holders. The shell holders go from +.002 to +.010. I am using the +.002 right now.

New loaded shells (my loads) go in & out of the gun no problem, as well as the once fired brass that has been sized. It is after the once fired brass is fired that I require a tug to get it out.

Last night I neck sized a once fired round with the 72gr H870 load. I trimmed brass to 2.486, cleaned burrs off the neck & loaded again to 72gr H870. I also cleaned the chamber in my rifle. It was dirty, but nothing out of the ordinary. After the neck sized round was fired, my case stretch was only .001 as I measured it at 2.487. It still needed a light tug to extract the fired shell.

On closer inspection it appears to be scratching ahead of the belt about a 1/8" wide mark on the case. I cycled the spent case back into the chamber about a 1/2 dozen times in the field & it appears there is about 1/2 dozen 1/8" marks ahead of the belt on the case now.

I am thinking that there is a rough spot where the belt ring was cut into the chamber now. What do you guys think?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:13 AM
Bronze Member

Hi guys. As a retired gunsmith with over 30 years of experience this is a common problem with 'tight' chambers (minimum spec) and maximum spec dies. RCBS noted this condition and brought forward their Small Base loading dies. THESE are a must with ANY auto-loader or pump action to insure your reloads will function properly. Many an unfortunate hunter has learned this the hard way on his first Bear hunt. A knowledgeable Alaskan guide makes his client test ALL his ammo before placing them at risk. This is more than a PR ploy - a wounded Brownie can and several have out-ran a horse to cause considerable damage to the hunter and/or his back-up guide because the client's rifle had extraction or feed problems and couldn't make a follow-up shot. This can be a problem irregardless of the action involved, be it bolt,auto or pump. Modern receivers are sized for the caliber intended and most magnum barrels are over-sized and won't thread into the receiver. It's when a person runs a chamber reamer into an old Spanish Mauser action in order to come up with a hot modern magnum that interesting things begin to happen. As far as your reloads sticking - this will only happen because your loads are not sized small enough to chamber or they are TOO hot and the cases are being extruded into areas of your bolt-face they were never intended to enter. Extreme care is the order of the day. Keep your powder dry.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Gold Member

just had a simular problem with a 7stw. Brass would stick even with mild loads and would even stick if you took brass fired in the gun and chambered it empty. It too showed some light scratching on the cases. I sent it back to remington and they polished the chamber and it works fine now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie316 View Post
Barrel was shortened from muzzle end. I use Redding dies with the comp shell holders. The shell holders go from +.002 to +.010. I am using the +.002 right now.

New loaded shells (my loads) go in & out of the gun no problem, as well as the once fired brass that has been sized. It is after the once fired brass is fired that I require a tug to get it out.

Last night I neck sized a once fired round with the 72gr H870 load. I trimmed brass to 2.486, cleaned burrs off the neck & loaded again to 72gr H870. I also cleaned the chamber in my rifle. It was dirty, but nothing out of the ordinary. After the neck sized round was fired, my case stretch was only .001 as I measured it at 2.487. It still needed a light tug to extract the fired shell.

On closer inspection it appears to be scratching ahead of the belt about a 1/8" wide mark on the case. I cycled the spent case back into the chamber about a 1/2 dozen times in the field & it appears there is about 1/2 dozen 1/8" marks ahead of the belt on the case now.

I am thinking that there is a rough spot where the belt ring was cut into the chamber now. What do you guys think?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with Chugiakbilly.

IMO there are two other possible causes for your problem. It could explain why your gunsmith has not seen this problem with other rifles he has built with the same reamer. ONE your chamber is not perfectly true to bore and a slight bind is causing this issue. TWO he sanded/polished more metal out of the chamber after reaming on the other rifles. I know because I encountered these problems when first machining my own barrels.

I have a borescope and can SEE if a chamber job is true by looking at the throat . One of my first rechamber jobs with a rem takeoff was not true and there are different length lands in the throat. (Gordy Gritters video shows what to look for) That 6mm-284 would scratch the case just in front of the web. Bolt opened up easily but wouldn't move rearwards without considerable effort. I polished the area and it is no longer an issue. So far I have not seen any issue with primer pockets prematurely opening up which could happen if the rear of the chamber got too large.

I have two 338 RCMs that were chambered by different gunsmiths. Both were machined true. The chamber reamer uses the exact specifications that Hornady uses. I know because I talked with Lonnie. Redding's FL die did not size the brass enough and I had the same issue that you had with your 264. Hornady's FL die works better but it is still not enough.

I had a talk with Dave Kiff and he said this is common with the WSM, SAUM and RCM brass. His solution is to offer a reamer and FL die blank that is smaller to reduce the size of the case far enough for easy extraction. I have mine on order. Dave also said polishing would solve the issue BUT it was not the proper way to solve it.

I always wondered why one of the gunsmiths I used would sand the heck out of his chamber job then polish before installing the barrel. Fewer comebacks especially if his setup wasn't perfect which I have discovered is the case. Imagine using a 3 jaw universal and a headstock spider with no allowance for chamber end pivoting. No copper ring or short soft jaws were used in the 3 jaw universal. AND the reamer is installed into a tailstock chuck with no flexibility for proper centering. Now for the wierd part....all of his jobs shot well. My first very crooked chamber job with that previously mentioned 6mm-284 shoots 80 gr nos bt into 1" groups at 200 yds with a 7 lb sporter.

I realize I got off topic slightly but perhaps this can explain why you have an issue. Can you get a borescope and inspect the throat? That would be very enlightening.