Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Once fired brass and never fired brass???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Gold Member

Once fired brass and never fired brass???

I was wondering does once fired fl sized brass shoot differently than never fired fl sized brass? Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Once fired brass and never fired brass???

Not sure there's a definative answer for that. I have always been told that most shooters would see better accuracy after their virgin brass had been fireformed in their chambers, and that makes good sense. I have however, gotten some great accuracy/groups with FL sized virgin brass. I never did a test to see whether the accuracy got better or worse and if it was either way it wasn't substantial enough to arouse my suspicions. JohnnyK.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Well the reason Im asking is im doing load development and need everything to be the same and the only variable being the powder charge. I would have to use some once fired stuff with the new stuff. I figured they should be the same seeing as they have been through a fl die?? but I have no clue?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovastafford View Post
Well the reason Im asking is im doing load development and need everything to be the same and the only variable being the powder charge. I would have to use some once fired stuff with the new stuff. I figured they should be the same seeing as they have been through a fl die?? but I have no clue?
That will depend upon how you set up your FL die. You do not want to push the shoulder back to new case dimensions everytime as that will lead to thinning at the pressure ring and case head separations.

The only way to have 100% consistant case dimensions everytime is to fire the case until it gets a crush fit and set your shoulder at a specific point and then do that everytime from then on. It can take 3 to 4 firings until the case has fully expanded to get the crush fit.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Gold Member

Do you think I will notice a difference at 100 yards? Also what do you mean by get a crush fit and setting it to that? Do you mean back the die out until a fired case fits tight in the chamber? Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member

Probably not at 100 yds. When brass is fired, it expands to fit the barrel's chamber; it can't go any further. Each chamber is different. For that reason, you need to full length size brass fired in another rifle, and occasionally in your own firearm. Follow the die manufacturer's instructions to set up your die. After sizing one case, try to fit it in your rifle without a bullet. It should chamber up smoothly. If not, the dimensions are still too large for your barrel chamber. Turn the sizer die down about 1/8th turn and try again. Do this until it will fit. Be sure to lube the case liberally in and out.

Beware of buyilng "once fired brass" from an unknown seller. Some of this brass has been reloaded so many times that it might disintegrate in the press.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Gold Member

I tried the once fired brass in my chamber unsized and the bolt was stiff to shut so I will back my die up until they fit good right?