Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Old can of H4350

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Old can of H4350

Vinegar means it has suds left.......

My nose has never failed me.

It's an odd smell but once you smell it you always remember.

The only thing I'd do is start at the low end and work up some loads with a chronograph and see what it's doing velocity wise, while keeping an eye on the cases and pockets.

I believe powder will start appearing again. Keep in mine that most powder is imported, all Hogdon is, from Australia.

I just bought 1000 308's in Federal OFMB, 500 OF and 500 primed but not loaded, in Federal Lake City. I'm finding Sierra GK'a and MK's in 308 and 338 and I just bought 500 22 cal FMJBT Hornady's from Natchezz of all places. They had a 1000 bullet limit but I only needed 500 to replensih my inventory. Last week I got 5 100 boxes of Hornady V-Max in 22 caliber from Midway and I don't see prices increasing that much.

The V-Max's were the same price I paid a year ago and the 22 caliber FMJ's climbed 2 bucks a hundred while the brass was actually a bit cheaper than last year when I bought some so I don't see the gouging that everyone is crabbing about.

Maybe some AR's and AK's, hell I made a small fortune selling 4 AK's I had (worthless guns IMO) but some folks wanted them real bad, so I obliged. I made enough outright on 4 AK's to order a full custom for myself..... That is actually accurate, unlike an AK.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 PM

I suppose that opening up the can and taking a snort here and there over the years either lets out a little moisture or lets in a little moisture, which might make the powder charge a little hot or soft when measure to a specific weight.

Powder that has dried out would have slightly more umph since it would take more to make the desired weight.

That's my un-expert SWAG. Either way, I'll start low and work up.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

I guess you could put a dessicant pack in with the powder, slica gel is inert, just absorbs moisture and they are cheap.

Years ago I worked for Austin Powder and hauled dynamite, nitro and fertilizer all in one truck....back in the days before Haz-mat and all the regulations, back in the day when I was young and fearless....

Thats why I moved mine from under the bed into the closet. I got worried I might roll over some night and blow myself up.....

About the only caliber I load for that takes a lot of propellant is the 338. All my pistol loads are small amounts. So are the 223's and my other big bore rifle is a muzzleloader and that stuff hasn't gotten scarce at all. I have a 308 but I have already developed a load that works well so I load enough to hunt with.

Was talking to another customer at the gun shop last week in the muzzleloader section and I remarked that there wasn't any reduction in inventory of powder or bullets (saboted and bare). He said thats becaue people don't understand muzzleloaders and they only have one shot to which I replied it only takes one. Actually, thats fine with me that I don't have to search for components.

I'd sure like to know where the 22's went. My deck varmits appreciate the fact that I don't have any......
Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

The new H4350 is made in a different country that that can was. If you are working up loads pitch it and start over. You are wasting your time.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Sure about that? The 'can was made here, just like they are today but the propellant?? Facts please??
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Sure about that? The 'can was made here, just like they are today but the propellant?? Facts please??
can from china (???).... powder from the aussies.... can more valuable than powder, just like boxed cereal for kids.....
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

I have cans of powder that are over 40 years old, still using them.
As long as they have been stored properly, the powder will be fine.