Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

OK so im almost out of dumb questions.......or am i?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

OK so im almost out of dumb questions.......or am i?

I have decided to go with winchester brass..looked around for a while to try and find lupua....no luck(300 WM). I have been shooting winchester supreme factory ammo. I realize that these cases are silver...are the the same as the winchester brass that i can buy at cabelas....can the two be mixed....are they the same other than the color?

thanks
ryan
Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: OK so im almost out of dumb questions.......or am i?

I will say no do not mix, For reloading throw out the nickel brass and use uncoated Win brass. The nickel will start flaking later in life and can cause damage to the reloading dies. (I used the nickel in the past beacuse i liked the look, call me stupid!)

If i were you, go buy double what you want for finished cases, run them through the expander ball to make all the necks round, then trim all to the same lenght, and lastely weight sort them.

The only problem i have had with win brass is consetency between bags. Get a buch up front and shoot them tell they are done! then start over.

Some my disagree with the weight sorting, and if you do, just go by a bag load it and shoot. If you have a good load worked up and you get a flyer mark the brass. if it dose it again on the next reload toss it.

Willys
Old 03-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Bronze Member

Re: OK so im almost out of dumb questions.......or am i?

Ryan,

I have found the most consistancy with Remington brass in the normal priced stuff. If you are looking for Lapua or Norma or some higher consistance brand try Sinclair International or Midway.

Willys46 is right on about pitching the nickel coated brass and his advise concerning how to cull throught a batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtownBcat View Post
I have decided to go with winchester brass..looked around for a while to try and find lupua....no luck(300 WM). I have been shooting winchester supreme factory ammo. I realize that these cases are silver...are the the same as the winchester brass that i can buy at cabelas....can the two be mixed....are they the same other than the color?

thanks
ryan