Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

OK I need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 03:48 AM
Silver Member

Re: OK I need help!

80 and even 84 grains of h-1000 seems low to me, I am running 89 - 91 of h-1000 with my 338 lapua and the 300 SMK's with Lapua once fired brass and having no problems at all. I will admitt I have never heard of this one before but it may be to light of a load density causing the problem. Also was wondering if you are FL sizing the Lapua brass or not. If it was shot in a rifle with a larger chamber it may be why it is sticking in your fairly new and tighter one. FL sizing may help with that

Last edited by bman73; 10-28-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:58 AM

I thought 80-84 grains was really low to I was all the way up to 90 before and i got a new batch of H-1000 and had to drop it a lot probably more than i needed but i didn't want to have to mess with it any more during hunting season. Is it possible that the low amount of powder does not make the new stiffer bass fluid enough to return to the size it was prior to the shot?

To answer a few other questions i am using full length dies and they chamber great before I shoot but they dont chamber at all if i dont size them they will just get stuck like the ones I have shot.

thanks
val
Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsbigsmooth View Post
under loading can be more dangerous than over loading.

I agree. 80 - 84 grains is a very light charge. I am running 92 grs. with no problems.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

You state your bolt moves freely? Does it move up 1/4 of the way then stop or are you
jumping the extractor completely over the rim?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 AM

My bolt moves about three quarters of the way up and stops it does not jump the extractor.

And i agree with everyone 80-84grs seems extremely light to me as well.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Silver Member

I checked out brassmanbrass.com and he advertises once-fired Lapua brass. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that his brass is fired more than once, but I'd say at the very least it was fired in a chamber that was looser than yours.

Just ahead of the web the brass will swell. FL sizing doesn't always bring the brass back down to spec. This is more of a problem after it ahs been fired 8 or 12 times and begins to work harden.

I have witnessed this with my rifle and there is no cure for it that I know of. I usually get about 10 firings on my Lapua brass but I've gotten as many as 16 firings. Once they harden to the point that they are difficult to extract, they are done.

I would suggest you buy some new (unfired) Lapua brass and I expect your problems will be over, at least until you have 8 or 10 firings on them.

I have thought about looking into buying a custom small-base die to see if I could extend the life of my brass but it seems that after 10 or 12 firings that I've got my money's worth from them.

Good Luck, Festus
Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valphillips View Post
My bolt moves about three quarters of the way up and stops it does not jump the extractor.

And i agree with everyone 80-84grs seems extremely light to me as well.

You might want to try a small base die.