Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

OK I need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: OK I need help!

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-07-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

I agree, polishing the chamber is a debatable procedure. I've done it, it cured the two rifles problem, and I have witnessed no ill effects. Varmit Al gives a pretty interesting argument for the benefits on his website, from an engineers point of view.

And I would think everyone would agree, a chamber that is so rough it scratches the brass and/or will not allow extraction, needs to be polished.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:22 PM

Yeah i thought about the camber being rough so i colored a piece of brass that was sticking and put it in and could not see any rough spots or gouges. also remember only the lapua brand brass is getting stuck the HSM brass is not sticking at all. I have cleaned the chamber a few times now. also when i stick a piece of brass that i have not sized yet in it will get stuck just the same. i got this brass from brassmanbrass.com is there a chance it is a knock off of lapua and put the lapua headstamp on it? Thanks for all the info i am really lost without all your help!!!!
val
Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

You have a real head scratcher on your hands.

One of the rifles I chamber polished did the same thing. Bolt would rotate upward normally with no resistance but trying to pull the bolt rearward was a no go. No signs of overpressure on brass or primer. No scratches on brass to indicate a rough chamber. Same load and velocity used in other rifles with no ejection problems.

But, with virgin brass it would eject just fine. It would only stick with brass that had been previously fired.

Is the Lapua Brass softer or harder than the HSM brass? Making it more likely to be grabbed by the chamber? I don't know. But I am interested in learning the cause and solution to your problem.

Please update your post with new findings.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:35 PM

The lapua brass seems to be alot harder material to me. also it is once fired could the camber of the rifle that fired it before be bigger and now the stiffer brass wont shrink enough after it expands when it gets shot? I think i am just going to sell the lapua brass i got and buy some more HSM brass i guess that is what i get for trying to fix something that isnt broken. Again thanks everyone for the responses and help if anyone comes up with more ideas please let me know i would love to know why this is happening as well.
thanks again
val
Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Bronze Member

under loading can be more dangerous than over loading.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

What you are experiencing is too large of diameter not over pressure. Headspace pressure
will slam the bolt lugs back and make the bolt tight. Case diameter sticking will allow the
bolt to lift normally until the extractor tries to pull the case and then it stops like it hit a
brick wall. How do the unfired lapua cases chamber? You may have to by some undersized
dies if your dies won't bring them down. I ran into this on a barrel set back and finally had
the chamber redone. Something was wrong with the reamer in that particular case.