Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

OK I need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 PM

OK I need help!

I have a custom 338 lapua built on a lawton 8500 action with a hart barrel. I have been shooting and reloading HSM brass for the last 8 months with no problem. Now i picked up 100 rounds of lapua brass reloaded 20 and went to shoot. the first round acted a little funny not a stiff bolt lift but it didnt want to eject either. the next round however would not eject at all the bolt moves freely but will not eject i had to use a cleaning rod to tap it out. thinking it was just a bad piece of brass and checking for pressure marks i shot one more and this one did not even budge i had to use a cleaning rod to get it out again but it was much much stiffer. after examining everything i can not find a difference in the brass size or anything but if i even drop one of the already fired cases in there it is stuck all the other pieces eject just fine and i am loading the same exact amount of powder in the lapua brass as i was the HSM any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
val
ps. im shooting 84grs of h1000 behind a 300gr smk and federal 215m primers out of a 30 inch 1 in 9 twist barrel.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: OK I need help!

Very big NO NO --- I have been shooting the 338 or a variant of it for 20 years. Lapua brass is all I have ever used and the long story short is that when you change components even lot numbers you always have to check. This is why when I develop a load I have enough components for the life of the tube when I start load development. Before I started to compete and learn from my mentors I had the same thing happen to me that has happened to you! My rifle was a AI AWM in 338 and I was able to buy some once fired brass and did not think about any differences and I had sticky bolt lift and hard extraction.

In summary the load in the once fired Lapua brass had to come down by 2 grains of 7828 with a 250 SMK. I know this does not seem like much but it allowed the rifle to function and shot the same velocity and almost POI.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:22 PM

ok thanks for the help... it just doesnt make sense to me i dont have a stiff bolt lift the case just doesnt want to come out. is it cause lapua brass is stiffer?
thanks again.
val
Old 09-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

The case capacity could be less.
Have you measured it?
Reduce the load a couple of grains like Boss mentions and see what you get.
In fact, reduce the load until you can get the brass out normally.
I had the same problem with my 7-300win AI.
I was developing more pressure than I thought.
I had a low velocity through the chrono.
Didn't make sense until I shot at 600 and 1000yds doing drop tests.
I was getting over 100 fps more than the chrono indicated . So I was getting more pressure too.
The lot of powder I had was about 5% faster than the standard .
That's why my brass was hard to extract.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:15 PM

ok i have an update. i checked case capacity they are identical. so I dropped my powder down to 80grns of h1000 and shot one it got stuck even harder than the last ones the bolt is not stiff at all it lifts fine until you get to the part where it comes back. Now i have measured the brass the lapua brass is wider by about 3 thousands all the way around. that is the only thing i can find different. again there are no pressure marks at all. Any suggestions at all? Just stick with the HSM brass?
thanks
val
Old 10-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

You might try polishing your chamber to make sure there is no powder residue that can gum things up. Any pics you can post of the brass that is giving you problems?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

Yep, I've experienced the same condition before and polishing the chamber with flitz and a shotgun bore mop solved the issue. Same condition on another rifle the chamber was so rough we had to use emery cloth and then polish with flitz.