Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Ohaus vs. RCBS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Ohaus vs. RCBS

Thanks guys
that gives ma a warmer fuzzy so to speak.

Aldon
Could you give me the contact info for the guy on accurate shooter, just in case I mess this ebay thing up. Never bought anything there before.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Ohaus has made most reloading beam scales for decades, Lyman, RCBS, Dillon and probably Hornady and Redding. No matter, they are all excellant in performance and highly reliable.

I lived most of my working life as an electronic instrument techician in the space/defense programs. There are no electronic gadgets on my loading bench and there won't be unless someone gives me one - and then I'd only use it to weigh cases, not powder.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
Ohaus has made most reloading beam scales for decades, Lyman, RCBS, Dillon and probably Hornady and Redding. No matter, they are all excellant in performance and highly reliable.

I lived most of my working life as an electronic instrument techician in the space/defense programs. There are no electronic gadgets on my loading bench and there won't be unless someone gives me one - and then I'd only use it to weigh cases, not powder.
10-10s are still made by Ohaus, they are just now made in Mexico. I know--I just bought one several months ago, called Scott Parker to have it tuned, and after talking to him, took it back. His expericnce with the Mexican made models is that some are good, some OK and some terrible. In other words, a consistently high level of workmanship does not seem to be being maintained with the Mexican made models.

Scott Parker, the well known scale master, who sells very finely tuned scales or tunes yours if it's a model he will tune, will not even try to calibrate the new 10-10s. The scale that Scott sent me is a 1960's Redding Model #2. This scale and a similar era Lyman (I think it was) are the two models he prefers the most. The scale I have from him has two weights (not using the right term here...) and not three, like many scales now have. 3 moving weights is much more difficult to tune than 2 weights so he prefers the 2 moving weight versions. This old Redding Model 2 I now have is incredibly sensitive.

Another tip I learned from him that I should've already known and feel stupid for not fully thinking it through, is that if you are trickling powder into you scale and go over the desired charge weight at all, dump the entire pan out and start over for the best consistency. There's some good mechanical reasons for doing this if you are concerned about that level of powder charge accuracy.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Gold Member

This is the fellow who reworks beam scales....

Scott Parker
vld223@yahoo.com
661 364-1199
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

My 10-10 must be an old one...since Ive had it more than 30 years!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

My Lyman/Ohaus M5 was new in '65, it's still dead on and going strong. But that's also true of my Herter's MS-4 of the same period. And my Lee Safety Scale that's only about 8 years old - but it's so light it's PITA to use!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

my rcbs 505 is also an ohaus. I got it in a rockchucker(old style) kit 7 or 8 years ago. Dang good scale. My pops has an old ohaus that still says it on top. I think it's the 505 type.