Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Oh $hit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

Oh $hit

I accidentily dumped about an ounce and a half of Aliant Reloader 22 into a full pound of Alliant Bullseye. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and I don't really know what it would do to load it in a .38 pistol. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to what I do. I really don't want to dump it out cuz of money loss but then again I don't want to blow up any guns either.

Thanks for any advice, Ken
Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: Oh $hit

[ QUOTE ]
I accidentily dumped about an ounce and a half of Aliant Reloader 22 into a full pound of Alliant Bullseye. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and I don't really know what it would do to load it in a .38 pistol. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to what I do. I really don't want to dump it out cuz of money loss but then again I don't want to blow up any guns either.

Thanks for any advice, Ken

[/ QUOTE ] Do you have any house plants? If so, this makes a vary good fertilizer for the plants. I would use at the rate of one teaspoon per plant. Works great on your rose bushes also. Don't even think of trying to save this mess for loading, LIFE IS TO SHORT, GUNS NOT THAT CHEAP!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

What's done is done, get rid of it!

In the future: KEEP ONLY ONE CAN OF POWDER ON THE BENCH AT A TIME, THAT WHICH IS IN THE POWDER DISPENSOR ONLY. AND KEEP IT THERE ON THE BENCH SO YOU KNOW WHAT'S IN THE DISPENSOR.

Do not buy opened containers of powder, or any powder that's been opened that you have ANY doubt of its contents, and I mean ANY REMOTE DOUBTS ABOUT... just don't do it.

I have blown up a rifle by doing JUST THAT.

An ounce and a half of RL22 probably wouldn't bother anything but, $20 for another pound of Bullseye is nothing compared to the complications that COULD result from a squib load, or a high PSI load for some unknown reason.

At the very least, you've got two eyes now, and they're unreplacable, which certainly makes them worth more than the $20 you stand to save.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Gold Member

hmm....
If its an ounce and a half thats 656gr of the slow powder into 7000gr of fast powder.
Thats just a bit under 10%...
My initial thought is that as long as you are using a load which would not be over max for the fast powder, you oughta be alright. Im betting your velocity will vary a good bit depending on weather you get mostly fast, or mostly slow... but maybe...just maybe if it was well mixed...
The way I see it youve got 3 options.
1. plant food.
2. try to find a screen with a mesh size approprate for seperating the powders
3. load it up and do a test.
ive got a cheap (junk pot metal $20 gunshow special POS) 38spl revolver I acquired to demonstrate all the risks associated with the "tactical disarmerment" situations that the media loves to talk about aka: "why didn't your super well trained police sniper just shoot the gun out of the bad guys hand?" The cylinder lockup is loose enough that it shaves lead, but if you decide to test, ill donate the old junk revolver to the cause. Ive got a concrete block and steel building that I use for static testing rocket motors, so saftey isn't a real issue. Let me know if youre interested.
In the end, the old addage might be the best solution...
Advise is what you ask for when you already know the answer, and don't like it.... in other words.... plant food. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Brient tell us about the rifle blow up? I had a handgun partially blow up in my hand from buying store bought hand loads.Sig 229 blew the grips and froze the action.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Oh $h!T is right. If you have never seen fire come out of all orifices at once just go ahead and load that stuff up. Maybe nothing will happen. Maybe something will.

I want to hear about ABINOK's rocket motor gun
Old 04-08-2005, 01:00 PM

Unless you've some way to get rid of the top layer of powder, it's in there to stay. But Reloder 22 is a slow powder, and slower than Bullseye by just an enormous amount. It's hard to imagine a less than 10% mixture of much-much-much slower powder causing a blowup or other dangerous situation. If it were me, I'd mix it together very thoroughly and try it. If it doesn't shoot to your satisfaction, it can always be dumped.