Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

OCW load development need advice for a newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Silver Member

OCW load development need advice for a newbie

Hey guys, Newbie here...

I started some load development today trying the OCW method and could use some advice and maybe some expert input.
Here's the info: Howa 1500 .30-06 22" heavy barrel 208gr Amax RL 22 CCI 200. All bullets seated .005" off the lands.

Here's the first target with the velocities listed under each target:(they're hard to read sorry...)

So, then I also noticed that on my hogue overmolded stock (not the greatest I know but it's what was available) that the barrel wasn't free floating up front. So I took the dremel out and just took some of the rubber out and now the barrel is totally free floating, no contact. In hind sight I probably should have waited till I was done load developing....oh well, I learn the hard way.

So from here, I decided to break it down some more and do loads in .3 gr increments from 58.5 to 60.3.

however, shooting conditions weren't the greatest, the sun was directly in front of me and in my eyes and it was extremely hard to see in the scope. I'm sure I should have waited for another time when the visibility was better, but anyway here's the second target. Temp was also 10 degrees higher and baro pressure was the same.

so, I'm stumped. The groups were definitely tighter on the original target then things opened up a lot on the second target (I did run a bore snake between the two). Was it the lighting conditions? Was it me screwing things up by getting rid of the barrel contact??? 58.5gr the first target held a great group, the second target 58.5gr was not great at all.

58.8gr yeilded the most consistent velocites on the second target with single digit ES.

later today I'm going to experiment with seating depths using the 58.8gr charge and the 59.7gr charge from the second target. Starting on the lands working back in .01" increments to .03" off the lands.

Anyone have any thoughts??? Any advice would be great. THanks!

Last edited by Frogman77; 08-25-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: OCW load development need advice for a newbie

Frog I think you did the right thing about free floating the barrel, but not during the middle of the load development. The first target you shot a couple of nice groups.
So just start over, clean your barrel good shoot a couple of fouler shots. I do think you need to to feel completely comfortable with your shooting ability when testing. If your not just wait till another day, when you are.
I also think you should back up to 200 yds if possible. Let us see your next targets when you shoot.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Bronze Member

Something I've tried with great success when running an OCW test is to actually measure out the group-centers of the various loads, poke a hole in the target, and then plot the individual points on a new target ( I call this the group-center-target). Rather than use identical points, mark each group center with the number 1, 2, 3, etc... This will usually give the shooter a much clearer idea of where the group centers actually plot in relation to each other, yielding a more easily identifiable OCW. If this doesn't give the information you're looking for, try moving back to 200 yards to open up group sized and give group centers a bit more space and variation.

Don't forget that when reading the Newberry OCW pages, it is important to initially disregard group size when trying to locate an OCW. This component can later be adjusted by varying seating-depth.

Hope this little bit of info helps.

Eben
Old 08-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

The first thing I would do is try a different powder. If youre stick liked that powder, the groups definately would be smaller. You still have to find a sweet spot even with powders it likes, but even the "bad" groups will be better than most of the groups you have there. When you find the right powder, you will know.

It also isnt a good idea to move youre seating depths AND change charge weights together. One may cancel another out. Find one sweet spot at a time.

Just remember, youre just starting this proccess so dont get frustrated. It is just a matter of finding the right components. It will happen with time and persistence.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, butI've never heard of the OWC method until now. Is this a pretty popular load development method amobng the long range crowd? From what I've read it seems to favor consistency (closest to POI) over accuracy (tightest groups)?

Frogman77 - Plus one on not changing the seeting depth and powder at the same time. As for powders, if you are a Reloder fan RL-19 would be a much better choice with that bullet weight.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, butI've never heard of the OWC method until now. Is this a pretty popular load development method amobng the long range crowd? From what I've read it seems to favor consistency (closest to POI) over accuracy (tightest groups)?
When building OCW loads, Step 1 is to find the consistant POI, then Step 2 is to find the tightest group by varing either the primer or bullet depth (individually).

Jay
Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

thanks for the input guys, I'll try another powder sometime soon..I'm going to put a new trigger in too. the stock one isn't that great. Tons of creep in it and it needs to go. I'll keep you posted.