Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Observation about R17 today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Observation about R17 today

I think I got mixed up with the mil/moa thing. . . again.

1 Mil = 3.6" @ 100 --- 1 MOA ~= 1" @ 100. Have to say/type that to resync my thinkin'

0.5 Mil @ any distance is significant.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

.5 mil is significant BUT, where did it come from? From what i'm seeing (unless I missed something), that half-mil could have come from plummeting temps increasing density or in my case, shaking like a crackhead looking for a fix due to the frigid weather.

Granted a chronograph would have been nice, they probably don't work any better than I do in those temps...

Not just the powder at work here....

t

Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

As a "control group check"- during summer temps, my dope will quite often go from 10.2 mils at 1k at first light down to 9.2 mils (or even less) if it tickles the 90's.

During our "frostbite classic", I only saw half that- and I'm starting to suspect that we had a downdraft on that last stage where I had to add .5 mils, as the wind was quartering to us down the hill. It was the only stage that my dope was low. My trigger hand was mostly numb during the stage- but that had become common by then! My core temp was comfy at the time, but the breeze was enough to give us all ice cream headaches. Maybe my brain was locking up & I was hallucinating...

A few of you have shot with me, so I won't make any claims to having any extra badassery behind the trigger. I'll just say that I think I'm good enough to make the comments I'm making >>

Alas, my window of opportunity to enjoy shooting at 20 below is slipping away. We got above zero today. Maybe I'll get motivated during the next cold snap
Old 12-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Bronze Member

The alliant website claims consistancy even in extreme weather, Has anyone worked this up in 280
Rem. I am thinking with a 4350 burn rate but with more vel. should be a winner,