Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Observation about R17 today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

Observation about R17 today

Not quite sure how to fit this into my head at the moment, but shot quite a few 208's through the 308 today, with my standard 48.5 grains of R17 & the dope didn't vary more than .5 mils out to 1205- and it was in the -15 to -20 temp range by then. I've seen more variation than that on a breezy summer day...

I expected to use more turret to hit the long steel, based on everything I've read.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Observation about R17 today

Is what you are saying is that RL17 isn't temp sensitive?

That may be so. I have experience with 22 & 25 which are.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

High BC bullet, really low density air ... seems like the powder temperature sensitivity would have a bigger influence at those temps.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

The colder the temp the more dense the air, wouldn't ya think?

That's why airplanes use more runway in the afternoon.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

It had me scratchin my bundled up head more than once. During the 6 minutes & 23 seconds that the iPhone was functional at -15, it claimed a 62% humidity, 4300 ft elevation, and -17F. Shooter app told me to run the standard dope, & it worked. I fully expected to be putting an extra mil on it past 1k, but ended up running right on most of the day, and putting maybe an extra .3-.5 on for the last stage's 1075 & 1205 targets (made hits on em!) The sun was down by then & we had .7 mils of wind. My trigger finger was beyond numb by then, too, so I could have been jerking things.

I've seen R17 heat up a primer or two at 100F, and definitely do buy into "warm" temp sensitivity, but so far despite a couple conversations with montanamarine about it, I haven't seen much to support a downward track on muzzle velocity in the cold.

I think I should go shoot tomorrow to gather more data before our nice cold snap goes away....
Old 12-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Fire a group at a range your comfortable with in the sub zero temps and document the drop.

Keep the same number of rounds inside your clothes next to your body, so you can estimate a solid 90 degree powder temp and fire at the same range.

You should be able to calculate the velocity difference based on your drop...and see what it corresponds to in MV Loss per degree of temp drop.
If I remember correctly...I have less than 1 entered into Shooter.

It's been my experience that it's an exceptionally stable powder...maybe not THE MOST, but it's not as bad as people assume.

In my testing so far, 33 seems to be on about the same level with 17, which would make sense since they are made in the same facility.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

.5mil is 22" at 1205yds, or 1.7moa off from expected POI.
I would call that significant in that you couldn't hit with any precision without it.

If it really seems insignificant to you, try hitting what you're aiming at with single shots.