Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

OAL too long for magazine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Bronze Member

OAL too long for magazine?

Well I finally received some brass for my 338 RUM. So now I can start reloading. This is my first time reloading. If I'm doing anything wrong please let me know.

So I took my Hornady OAL gauge with modified case and a Nosler 250 AB. So when I measure the OAL (end to end) I get an average of 3.872" and 3.215" to the ogive. When I use the method of putting a bullet in the neck and close the bolt I get a OAL of 3.878". So if I want the bullet 0.010" off the lands I the bullet will still be 3.862" OAL. My problem is that my magazine (standard Rem 700 BDL) has a max length of 3.610. To get a round to fit in the magazine the bullet will be 0.252" off the lands...that seems to be very high.

Is it possible that I'm measuring OAL wrong? Is there something wrong with my barrel (Rem XCR standard barrel)?

Will I have to use this rifle as a single shot?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: OAL too long for magazine?

No matter how you measure it won't change the differences. Your cartridges must fit the magazine or be fired as a single shot; most of us would prefer to use the magazine.

You have a factory sporting rifle and cartridge, not a BR rig. Why do you feel that being some .25" off the lands is bad?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

Scott,

Can't be specific about the measurements without seeing the rifle and ammo themselves, but yes, the notion of having chamber length ammo not being able to fit a magazine is nothing new. Some combinations work pretty closely, while others will be off quite a bit. Sounds like yours is one of the latter.

In some cases, such as the 223 in an AR-15 for most applications, you have some very hard guidelines that have to be followed. There, your OAL is 2.260" and not a bit longer if you're going to feed from a magazine. If you're going to single-load (as with long range or 600 yard stages) then the throat is what sets the dimensions. I load all my magazine ammo in this combination at around 2.250"-2.255" just to make sure there's no hang ups, but then load my 82 grain LR loads out to around 2.440" in my Wylde chambers.

Before you start sweating this too much, try them at a length that will function in the magazine and see how it shoots. Many will ldo a lot better than most would assume, so this could be a moot point. If they don't shoot, you can either load them out and single load when shooting, or see about lengthening the magazine box to accomodate the longer OAL.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtube View Post
Why do you feel that being some .25" off the lands is bad?
Basically with reviewing reloading forumns and literature it seems that 0.005" to 0.010" off the lands is "standard" for accuracy. I know I'm not shooting BR, but I want to get as much accuracy as possible. And as you say I would prefer to use the magazine (primarily a hunting .

I guess I will work up some rounds that fit in the magazine and maybe a few that need to be one at a time...to see if there is any difference in accuracy.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

I start all my load development with a COAL that will work in the magazine. I have yet to use any of my riffles as a single shot. Certain bullets are picky about jumps (VLDs) there are plenty of other bullets that aren't so picky. I'm working on load for my 338LM right now, that will fit in the mag. Broz had posted that he didn't think the Berger Hybrids are nearly as picky as the VLDs.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Bronze Member

Have you heard anything about Accubonds or TTSXs? Either of those are great hunting rounds with good accuracy.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanfly View Post
Is there something wrong with my barrel (Rem XCR standard barrel)?
Yeah, there is something wrong with the gun, it's a Remington.
Providing gunsmithing business since 1816..

Sorry. But it's Just too hard to resist & Remington deserves it.
Consider how tiny the efforts they put into your gun's design..
How little they cared about the gun's performance..
It's really really your opportunity to notice this.

Fewer shooters here, and at other long range shooting sites, walk into gunshops & buy the first visible guns. And of those that did, they followed up with mods to it (planned or not). Many were donor guns that would be immediately rebarreled.
You missed this in forum reading as it was rarely mentioned in context of seating for accuracy.

But there are plenty of options if you find that longer seating is more accurate.