Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

OAL Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Gold Member
Re: OAL Question

Yes, the comparator is sitting on the ogive. The comparator hole is actually smaller than caliber and hits the curve of the bullet down toward the tip.

As far as the measurement you mentioned of 3.100", that would be correct if you subtract the 1.000" of the comparator body. This is the comparator reading with the OAL set at 3.750"

I'm starting to work up loads for the 300 RUM. How far off the lands are you seating the bullet and what load are you using?
If you can read this, thank a teacher.......if you are reading this in English, thank a soldier.

Unread 05-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Bronze Member
Re: OAL Question

I Just Sent my rifle Back to the gunsmith for some minor work, and when I get it back I expect I will have an exact starting point for OAL and Powder Load.

I was using 95 grn. Retumbo, 200 grain NAB, and a OAL (casehead to tip measurement) of 3.725"

When I get the rifle back, with the new info, I will Start at 91 grns. and work up to 95 grns.

I also just got a Chargemaster 1500 for precise powder measurements,
and a CED M2 Chronograph for precise speeds.