Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Number of reloads per case?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Bronze Member

Number of reloads per case?

I have read in other forums that cases can be reloaded 5-6 times or more depending on the load.
As I have come to understand, nothing is typical when it comes to reloads, so as a rule of thumb, what am I looking for in the cases to know when I have fired my last round from it. I have found a couple that had split necks after 2 reloads, those were no brainers obviously.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Number of reloads per case?

Hi, what caliber, and what brand of brass?

Jeff
Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Cases fail for three common reasons

1. Too much pressure resulting in enlarged primer flash holes. The symptoms are the primers fall out.

2. Too much stretching due to chamber and finished case size differences resulting in case head separation. If you have to trim frequently then you will loses cases sooner. Use a bent paperclip to check inside the case near the head for thinning.

3. Bad necks due to not annealing regularly. Either split necks or no neck tension.

If you do not overload your cases and do not over size them and anneal the necks about every four or five shots then they will last quite a while. How many times is hard to answer for a number of reasons related to the three above plus every manufacturer uses a different alloy of brass and their cases have different properties.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Hi, what caliber, and what brand of brass?

Jeff
300 WSM, Win Nickel plated brass
Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

The only necks I have ever split in 2 firings were my 17 fireball. I was using rcbs dies that typically over size and work harden the cases faster. The little necks just could not take the over sizing. But I have never loaded nickel coated brass so that could be part of the problem too. What BB said above is true. In my 338 Lapua using Lapa brass I have cases that have been loaded 8 times and sre still looking good. They are annealed every two firings.

Jeff
Old 05-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Check out BB's post on anealing cases. (located in the thread just below rifles barrels bullets and balistics) 3 videos. I learned a ton, and was suprised just how easy it is to do using his meathods. I tried it. burned a few up, and then kinda got the hang of it. Its realy not too hard. All that being said I havent shot them yet, but resizing was smooth. And I expect to get at least a couple more loads out of em than I would've.
Maybe send BB a P.M. to see if anything is different with Nickel plated brass. He may have an ''adjusted tecnique'' haha.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Bronze Member

If I do a really hot load, 1-3 times.

My 45 ACP brass has been shot innumerable times.

My 7mm Mag has been loaded 5-6 times with Lee collet neck die and looks great.

Handloader's Journal did a brass article. Remington lasted over 20 f/l sizings and firings with no annealing. Federal gave out the quickest, I think it was 13. Norma, Nosler gave out pretty quick as well.