Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Not enough neck tension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Not enough neck tension

That's shoot them AND size them. Shooting doesn't work harden brass. Sizing cycles do.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

Can anyone chime in on this? That would be great if they would harden back up, but I have read that once they are overheated/too soft, they are done. So is this brass trash or will it be alright?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow View Post
Can anyone chime in on this? That would be great if they would harden back up, but I have read that once they are overheated/too soft, they are done. So is this brass trash or will it be alright?

Thanks
The answer isn't one size fits all. If you really overheated the case necks, it could take a long time for the brass to work harden through case firing and resizing repetitions. Since the answer can't be predicted ahead of time, you'll have to decide how long you want to continue reloading and firing this brass.

If it's standard run of the mill brass, like WW, Fed, or RP brass for a standard cartridge that isn't very expensive, I'd be tempted to move on to some new brass. If you were using expensive or rare brass that had a lot of fire-forming and prep time involved for a wildcat cartridge, it might be worth messing with it for a few rounds to see what happens. Only you could determine how valuable your time is, relative to the cost of moving on to some new brass.