Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Not enough neck tension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

Re: Not enough neck tension

If you heated your brass until it glowed red, it is ruined.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Bronze Member

Update. Today I tried fl resizing a piece of scrap brass that was annealed the same way. It is a different brand, I don't know if that makes a difference. But after fl resizing there was plenty neck tension. Do I just need to go to a smaller bushing? Why would a .002" smaller bushing work in the past but not now? I miced the necks of the .335" lot again and they are still .337 with a bullet in.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Getting the case necks too hot will reduce the elasticity of the brass. The case neck will be soft such as to deform more easily and the tensile strength is reduced. The case neck will deform easily compared to healthy case necks.

If you've dropped down 0.002" in bushing size and the case necks still won't hold bullets, then that's a pretty certain sign you over-heated the brass case necks. The case necks will expand when the bullets are seated with little force on the press handle, and the bullets won't be held tightly because the brass has no tensile strength to hold the bullets under tension.

Hope you can salvage them, but it doesn't sound good, based on your descriptions.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Bronze Member

Is it alright to shoot until I get new brass?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow View Post
Is it alright to shoot until I get new brass?
If you make sure the bullets don't fall out, or pull out, and you load them single shot style so the bullets don't compress under recoil in the magazine, I don't believe there are safety issues associated with the use of the cases. You said you only annealed the necks, so the case head and body should be fine. It sounded like you were still using them, no?
Old 08-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Bronze Member

I would guess it is still safe as long as the web and head area were not annealed any in the process. It's very important that the blued area of the case does not go down the body too far. Of course I'm no expert so don't rely only on what I say. The other thing I may add is that it should harden back up with use and after a few firings u will be back to using your larger neck bushings again.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

after you shoot them a couple times the brass should work harden I would think and you would have plenty of tension if the bullets aren't falling out just shoot them as single shots.