Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Nosler custom brass nick thickness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Nosler custom brass nick thickness

Hi everyone Iam working on my 338 edge loads. I don't as yet have a ball mic ,to measure neck thickness. I was just wondering if anyone know if this brass has uniform neck thickness or if I might benefit from turning the necks slightly.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nosler custom brass nick thickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyatnop View Post
Hi everyone Iam working on my 338 edge loads. I don't as yet have a ball mic ,to measure neck thickness. I was just wondering if anyone know if this brass has uniform neck thickness or if I might benefit from turning the necks slightly.
I'm not a real fan of ball mics, and prefer a good pin micrometer as it measures a larger area than the ball head. But each his own. What you can do to measure the case necks is to get you hands on a set of small hole gauges. Then measure over them with a micrometer. Then measure the O.D. and subtract. Most of the time I use a home brew device that you can now buy from Sinclair. It uses a .218" gauge pin and a micrometer head. These are extremely accurate. I highly recommend that Sinclair device.
gary
Old 11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nosler custom brass neck thickness

I was looking at a digital device sinclair has ,that looks very nice,but it is expensive. Seems like a guy spends a lot getting started out in this hobby a couple hunred a month for quiet some time lately, mabey some day ill have everything i need ,for reloading the best cartriges i can. Do you know if nosler brass neck thickness varies or is it very uniform ?. Thanks for the the replies.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

I bought some Nosler .300Win Mag Brass from MidwayUSA a few years ago. It had .08" yes, .08 variation in necks thickness. I contacted Nosler and they acknowledged they had a problem. They said to send it back to MidwayUSA. I called MidwayUSA and they said not to send it to them and send it to Nosler. I ended up throwing $70.00 worth of Nosler brass in the trash. I will not buy brass from either MidwayUSA or Nosler ever again. If you can find Lapua brass in the case you need it is hard to beat. I have also had good luck with Winchester, Federal, Hornady, Remington, Norma, and Lake City Match.
Nat Lambeth
Old 11-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

I guess Iam going to have to spend more money on an accurate tool to check neck thickness to know for sure.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyatnop View Post
I guess Iam going to have to spend more money on an accurate tool to check neck thickness to know for sure.
goto the Sinclair page, and then click the reloading tools place from there goto the micrometers. The one near the bottom of the page that's "L" shaped and cost about $160 is similar to what I built. But you can build one for a lot less, by buying a head from Enco and then making your own. I did mine with a band saw and a drill press, with an afternoon's worth of elbow grease. A buddy of mine built one similar, but got the head off an old micrometer he picked up at a hocshop for $20. The gauge pins are nice, and you can also use something like a 3/16th" or 6mm dowl pin. I have about forty dollars in mine.
gary
Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Iam gona go check it out right now. Thanks.