Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Nosler Custom Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Nosler Custom Brass

What's everybody's opinion on Nosler's custom brass?? They say it is de-burred, weight sorted, etc. It sure isn't cheap compared to the Remington I have used for years.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nosler Custom Brass

Trimmed, chamfered, flash hole debured, debured weight sorted +- 0.5gr, inspected. all in all for me it very much worth the extra cost. but I'm at that stage in life where time for my hobbies and personal pursuits can be at a premium and hard to come by.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

I find it a bit soft....if you load at reasonable pressures then above average, if your pushing it then get lapua or go through sorting...My Opinion only.....
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

I was looking for Lapua, unfortunately can't find it in 300wm any longer. The last batch of Remington I broke into seemed to be all over the place so I figured I would give them a try.
I usually don't push them too hard, but I am up there at the top.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
What's everybody's opinion on Nosler's custom brass?? They say it is de-burred, weight sorted, etc. It sure isn't cheap compared to the Remington I have used for years.

There has been a lot of discussion about the Nosler custom brass and I would recomend
that you do a search on it and make your choice based on the information in the post.

I have tried it and was very disappointed considering the cost and the fact that each batch
weighed is different from the last. (What you buy will all be the same, but the next batch will be
a different weight.

Also it is made by Federal and I have not had any luck with there brass.

The Lapua brass Is as good as you can get even though it is more expensive than most other
brass.

I normally buy 2 or 300 rounds of Remington to work with and after sizing and trimming
I weight sort in batches of 1 grain increments and will end up with 200+ in one batch and the
rest all but a few in 2 or 3 small batches that are used for testing and break in.

Now that all ammo is in short supply I'm not sure how the quality is with any brass except
for the Lapua. It seems to be as good as it ever has been.

If you don't mind spending the money buy the Lapua, other wise buy the Remington and
do a little culling to get what you want.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

Thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Silver Member

My experience is the same as J. E. Custom's. Too much money for the quality you get unless you load it light. If you push it at all the primer pockets go.
I took the same rout that J E Custom took. Bought Remington brass and sorted it and gave the culls to my friend that reloads and just does not care whether it has a imperfection or two. He does not shoot long range at all and for under 300 yds has no problems with it. Especially since it is free. I do not get the bad mixed with the good that way.